Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Cumulus stops working Window 10

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
DaveD
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro-2
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Cumulus stops working Window 10

Post by DaveD »

Windows 10 Version 1909, OS Build 18363.535. Cumulus stopped working several times in the last few weeks. I have a diagnostic report and an event in the Event Viewer "Windows Logs>>Application" for the last two crashes that states the same thing, snips below. I can find no other information about the problem. Help, anyone?
Diagnostic Data Viewer:
----------------------------------------------------------------
cumulus.exe

Description
Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Cumulus\cumulus.exe
Creation Time: 1/5/2020 9:23:13 AM
Problem: Stopped working

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: cumulus.exe
Application Version: 1.9.4.1086
Application Timestamp: 52af04ca
Fault Module Name: cumulus.exe
Fault Module Version: 1.9.4.1086
Fault Module Timestamp: 52af04ca
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0000dafe

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: (18446744073709551615)

Event Viewer, Windows Logs>>Application Error:
------------------------------------------------------------
Faulting application name: cumulus.exe, version: 1.9.4.1086, time stamp: 0x52af04ca
Faulting module name: cumulus.exe, version: 1.9.4.1086, time stamp: 0x52af04ca
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000dafe
Faulting process id: 0x491c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5c3b982efe518
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Cumulus\cumulus.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Cumulus\cumulus.exe
Report Id: 68f7e999-a65a-4344-852f-b61bd284c37b
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Dave Dalton
Davis Vantage Pro-2, additional Vantage Vue console, WU PWS KVAOILVI2
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: Cumulus stops working Window 10

Post by mcrossley »

Can't do much about Cumulus 1, but is there anything in the Cumulus log file or displayed on the screen?
DaveD

Post by DaveD »

Nothing in the debug.log, but I just turned on Debug Log in Configuration, so perhaps next time this happens it will tell me something. But it is likely that Windows terminates it without any input from Cumulus. I also found that a diagnostic program I have running in the background, Process Lasso Pro, can be configured to restart a program or process when it terminates, so I did so. Maybe this will ease the problem in the future.

There is a bigger question. For several years I have from time to time considered updating to Cumulus MX, but the last time I researched this, perhaps a year ago, I came away with an indication that I should stay on Cumulus 1 unless there was a good reason to go to MX; I don't remember the reasoning. Is that good advice?

Sorry I can't tell you more, but Cumulus 1 has been running and reporting to Wunderground without problems for eight or nine years now, so I have long since forgotten how to work around in it. It has served me well! (Since I don't fool around with it much, I just noticed that the Debug.log file is now 20 MB, so I started a new one--could that be part of the problem?)
Dave Dalton
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

DaveD wrote: Mon 06 Jan 2020 7:09 pm There is a bigger question. For several years I have from time to time considered updating to Cumulus MX, but the last time I researched this, perhaps a year ago, I came away with an indication that I should stay on Cumulus 1 unless there was a good reason to go to MX; I don't remember the reasoning. Is that good advice?
Well, if you want ongoing support you will have to move to MX ;)
For me the big motivator so to get off a power hungry Windows box and move to a Raspberry Pi power sipper. It is a bit of learning curve if you don;t know Linux. But you could get started with MX on your existing Windows box (and stay there too if you want). Just do a parallel install, and you can try MX out. So long as you do not run both programs together you can switch back and forth between them.
DaveD wrote: Mon 06 Jan 2020 7:09 pm Sorry I can't tell you more, but Cumulus 1 has been running and reporting to Wunderground without problems for eight or nine years now, so I have long since forgotten how to work around in it. It has served me well! (Since I don't fool around with it much, I just noticed that the Debug.log file is now 20 MB, so I started a new one--could that be part of the problem?)
Could be, I have no idea how Cumulus 1 works, so there may be a size limit on the file.
DaveD

Post by DaveD »

mcrossley wrote: Mon 06 Jan 2020 7:22 pm Well, if you want ongoing support you will have to move to MX ;)
For me the big motivator so to get off a power hungry Windows box and move to a Raspberry Pi power sipper. It is a bit of learning curve if you don;t know Linux. But you could get started with MX on your existing Windows box (and stay there too if you want). Just do a parallel install, and you can try MX out. So long as you do not run both programs together you can switch back and forth between them.
That might be the thing to do for you, but not for me! My "power hungry Windows box" is up and running 24/7 and does a lot of other stuff, most of which won't even run on a Linux box in their current incarnations. The resources Cumulus uses are a nit. It is a server for several other Windows machines throughout my residence, runs 2D CAD for plans and 3D modeling software for 3D metal printing for a couple large projects I have made a career building, runs lots of Adobe photo handling software that I use to restore old family photos and organize documents for family history. It runs a high-powered genealogy program. It runs MS Office. It is a music streaming server that broadcasts throughout my property. Etc., etc. Not only will most of this not run on Linux, but there is no way that I would move to all the applications that would, and suffer through the learning curve associated with that (and with Linux). At 75 I am really tired of working on this stuff; I just want to use it! Maybe if I were 40-50 years younger. And, like I said, Cumulus 1 hasn't given me any trouble in many years. Until recently it just works, and I wish I could say that about all apps.

Windows 10 is a pain-in-the-arse, but it is a minor pain. Perhaps these Cumulus problems have to do with Cumulus 1 getting to a point where it will have trouble running under Windows, and these terminations are just the beginning of this. I hope not. If that increasingly appears to be the case I will start up MX and see if it will serve.

Anyway, excuse the shouting and thanks for your assistance.
Dave Dalton
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

Likely not the cause but a couple of observations...
You seem to have a quite old Cumulus build - v.1.9.4 b1086 which is about 2013-2014. Running current b1099 could be helpful.
It looks like you have it installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\Cumulus The Cumulus readme.txt suggests
Important: On Vista and Windows 7 (and the corresponding server operating systems), it is strongly recommended that you install Cumulus outside the Program Files hierarchy, e.g. put it in C:\Cumulus\. If you choose to ignore this advice, you may have trouble locating your data files (and any diagnostic files produced by Cumulus) as Windows will redirect them to a hidden folder. See the FAQ ("I can't find my data files") for more details. On some systems, depending on how they are configured, this may cause Cumulus to fail to run at all. You have been warned!

There is a bigger question. For several years I have from time to time considered updating to Cumulus MX, but the last time I researched this, perhaps a year ago, I came away with an indication that I should stay on Cumulus 1 unless there was a good reason to go to MX; I don't remember the reasoning. Is that good advice?
A lot has happened with CumulusMX over the past year - new station types for Ecowitt GW1000 and Davis Weatherlink Live, added Windy.com upload as well as direct WeatherCloud and AWEKAS.

I still use Cumulus 1 as I have for over 10 years, but on current version. I also run CumulusMX on the PC WIN8 (I have an extra console and logger) www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm

DaveD

Post by DaveD »

PaulMy wrote: Mon 06 Jan 2020 10:33 pm You seem to have a quite old Cumulus build - v.1.9.4 b1086 which is about 2013-2014. Running current b1099 could be helpful.
It looks like you have it installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\Cumulus The Cumulus readme.txt suggests . . .
Thanks Paul. I didn't realize that my build was old. Since Cumulus 1 was never to go beyond 1.9.4, I thought that was it. I was planning on reinstalling Cumulus 1.9.4 today anyway, just in case that might fix it. So now I have the latest build 1099. Hopefully that will help.

As for location, I put almost all of my application data off of a folder named "Data" off of the root, and all of my C drive, including Data, gets backed up nightly to a USB drive that I swap with another offsite every few weeks. Data alone also gets backed up to the Wasabi cloud service weekly. Its about 160GB in size now! The main reason for all this residing in Data is because MS has been making the Windows data repository locations more and more difficult to find and work with over the years (hidden/no access folders, junctions that don't reflect the actual location, etc.). It's maddening, so I don't let Windows do it to me! I never moved Cumulus to its own data folder, but perhaps I should do that also.
PaulMy wrote: Mon 06 Jan 2020 10:33 pm A lot has happened with CumulusMX over the past year - new station types for Ecowitt GW1000 and Davis Weatherlink Live, added Windy.com upload as well as direct WeatherCloud and AWEKAS.
Are the MX versions for Windows, Linux, and Mac OS identical? Is one as good as the other? And will I lose anything for Wunderground PWS posting if I change from Cumulus 1 to MX?

Thank you both for your assistance.
Dave Dalton
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

DaveD wrote: Tue 07 Jan 2020 3:19 pm Are the MX versions for Windows, Linux, and Mac OS identical? Is one as good as the other? And will I lose anything for Wunderground PWS posting if I change from Cumulus 1 to MX?
It's exactly the same program that runs on all the platforms.

Wunderground works just the same as C1.
DaveD

Post by DaveD »

mcrossley wrote: Tue 07 Jan 2020 3:25 pm It's exactly the same program that runs on all the platforms.
Wunderground works just the same as C1.
Thanks Mark. That does it. If Cumulus 1 fails again, even just one time, I will be installing MX. I suppose it's about time.
Dave Dalton
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

Are the MX versions for Windows, Linux, and Mac OS identical? Is one as good as the other? And will I lose anything for Wunderground PWS posting if I change from Cumulus 1 to MX?
Yes there is one CumulusMX that is for all supported devices. https://cumuluswiki.wxforum.net/a/Software
No you will not lose anything in uploading to WU or any of the other weather sites.

If you have some hesitation, stop Cumulus 1 then install and run CumulusMX and get comfortable with it. You can stop either Cumulus 1 and CumulusMX and at restart each will continue from where it last was stopped so totally independent from each other (but you can't run both at the same time unless you have a second console or equivalent - I have 2 consoles plus Ecowitt GW1000 so could run 3 versions of CumulusMX).

In running CumulusMX for the first time you can begin with a complete "new" install and you would have to enter all the necessary settings that are then saved in the Cumulus.ini file (the same as you would have initially for Cumulus 1).

Or you can copy in the Cumulus 1 cumulus.ini and rename it as Cumulus.ini in the CumulusMX folder. There are some differences between Cumulus 1 and CumulusMX webtags in date parameters but I have not had any issue with that at all https://cumuluswiki.wxforum.net/a/Webtags

You can also copy over the Cumulus 1 \data and \Reports folders to CumulusMX so that your historical information is carried forward with CumulusMX.
As for location, I put almost all of my application data off of a folder named "Data" off of the root, and all of my C drive, including Data, gets backed up nightly
Similar, I put all my installed weather programs in C:\added_programs so C:\added_programs\Cumulus and C:\added_programs\CumulusMX and all subfolders including their \data folder and also backed up daily.

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm

mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

As a note - if you copy the C1 Cumulus.ini file to CMX, then you have to edit it to make two changes...

Change...
"[FTP Site]" to "[FTP site]"
and
"NOAAMO'mmyy'.txt" to "NOAAMO'MMyy'.txt"

The next release of CMX will do this for you automatically.
Phil23
Weather Station: Davis VP2+ & GW1000 (Standalone)
Operating System: Win10 Pro / rPi Buster

Post by Phil23 »

It's also worth noting that you can also install MX then copy just your data without the ini file to have a look how your previous data look & to get the feel of how everything works baring the connection to the station & the FTP uploads.

Phil
:Now: :Today/Yesterday:

Main Station Davis VP2+ Running Via Win10 Pro.
Secondary Stations, Ecowitt HP2551/GW1000 Via rPi 3 & 4 Running Buster GUI.
:Local Inverell Ecowitt Station: :Remote Ashford Ecowitt Station:
DaveD

Post by DaveD »

PaulMy wrote: Tue 07 Jan 2020 3:55 pm If you have some hesitation, stop Cumulus 1 then install and run CumulusMX and get comfortable with it. You can stop either Cumulus 1 and CumulusMX and at restart each will continue from where it last was stopped so totally independent from each other (but you can't run both at the same time unless you have a second console or equivalent - I have 2 consoles plus Ecowitt GW1000 so could run 3 versions of CumulusMX).
The only way I would want to run C1 and CMX at different times, collecting real data from my weather station, is if I can point to and update one set of data with the two different programs, but I see no way to point to the data folder in a different location from the default under the Cumulus and Cumulus MX folders. Otherwise, I lose some weather data with one Cumulus or the other. Also, I don't want to put the whole program in my C:\Data folder (instead of in C:\Program Files (x86)\Cumulus MX). Just the data! I really don't need to keep the other folder contents in what would be the C:\Data\Cumulus\Data folder.

So is there a way to do this?
Dave Dalton
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

You will not lose data, stop C1, run MX for an hour, stop MX, start C1 and it will pick from when it stopped, downloading from the logger as normal. Likewise stop C1, start MX again, and it will pickup from when it was last stopped.
DaveD

Post by DaveD »

mcrossley wrote: Tue 07 Jan 2020 10:07 pm You will not lose data, stop C1, run MX for an hour, stop MX, start C1 and it will pick from when it stopped, downloading from the logger as normal. Likewise stop C1, start MX again, and it will pickup from when it was last stopped.
Got it! I had forgotten about catch-up, although for some reason that has not always worked properly.
So I am going forward with the switch to CMX. Another reason for going there is because it is supported and there is the promise of embellishments in the future!

But first, I can't get it to run. I copied over the C1 ini file and made the changes suggested above (although one of them may be backwards; I tried both each way). Then I terminated C1 and started CMX as an administrator (automatic on my system). How can I get to the graphical interface and setup pages with this error? Does CMX still run with a serial port setting? I get the following error, and the log file for the attempts state that "The port 'COM1' does not exist. I am using COM3 and the ini file states near the top of the [Station] entries "Port=3".
But there are changes in the ini file that make it not like the old C1 ini file. There is also a "serial.txt" file with CMX that doesn't exist with C1.
CMX bad start.JPG
My C1 station settings are in the following screen clip:
cumulus 1 station setting.JPG
Is there something else I have to do? On initial start I did get a firewall notice and enabled Cumulus. I forget the details of the message.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dave Dalton