Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

realtime txt workaround

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
cohort
Weather Station: Fine Offset WH1080
Operating System: Windows 7

realtime txt workaround

Post by cohort »

I am probably attempting the impossible here, but is there any way that the realtime txt file in Cumulus 1.9.4 can be sent to two different weather apps on your website? I have Meteotemplate running fine but I wanted to use and modify a straight Cumulus alternative, principally(but not exclusively)to see if I could get a webcam up and running. Meteotemplate does NOT want to co-operate at all with regard to the plugin webcam and i have a very fine Reolink HD camera that is currently sitting doing nothing with regard to visible use. I have tried the obvious one of directing a Cumulus realtime upload to two different folders, one to the template and one to a folder inside the template called "test"where I have housed the alternative website. i see that as the only way to to direct Cumulus to upload as it requires you to specify the master folder and that HAS to be "template" as I see it. Is there a script that would force Cumulus to send out two simultaneous updates? Or is there a cron I could use?

the two sites in question are http://the9libraries.org.uk/template/indexDesktop.php

and http://the9libraries.org.uk/test/index.htm.

I got the latter up and running yesterday but it is clearly not updating.

Any thoughts on that would be massively appreciated, even if it is " NO, you cannot ever do that" I am considering a second weather station as a possible workaround as I already have Weather Display installed on a pc but with no access to the necessary hardware at the present time. I therefore remain curious to see what is, and is not, possible
Last edited by cohort on Mon 25 Nov 2019 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mapantz
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 11 x64

Re: realtime txt workaround

Post by Mapantz »

If the two sites are on the same host, surely you can keep the realtime.txt where it is and get both sites to read the file? If that's how I am interpreting it?!
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

I am probably attempting the impossible here, but is there any way that the realtime txt file in Cumulus 1.9.4 can be sent to two different weather apps on your website?
I have Cumulus do two realtime.txt realtime FTP
1. Through the normal Cumulus Internet Sites/options tick Realtime.txt FTP http://www.komokaweather.com/weather/realtime.txt
2. Made a duplicate realtime file realtimeT.txt and through the Internet Files FTP Realtime to remote http://www.komokaweather.com/pws/realtimePWS.txt

I didn't have to rename the remote to realtimePWS but did just to highlight it for me.

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm

cohort

Post by cohort »

Hi Paul,
tried that one and so far it is not updating. Just copied the realtime.txt file, as you said, renamed it and put in the extra upload into Cumulus Internet Files. Nothing updates although the realtimeT.txt dutifully appears in the folder I specified. Baffled.....
PaulMy

Post by PaulMy »

Hi,
There is no default realtimeT so it is something you have to create with the applicable <#webtags> and tick it for Process and FTP in the extra web uploads.
<#date format=dd/mm/yy> <#timehhmmss> <#temp> <#hum> <#dew> <#wspeed> <#wlatest> <#bearing> <#rrate> <#rfall> <#press> <#currentwdir> <#beaufortnumber> <#windunit> <#tempunitnodeg> <#pressunit> <#rainunit> <#windrun> <#presstrendval> <#rmonth> <#ryear> <#rfallY> <#intemp> <#inhum> <#wchill> <#temptrend> <#tempTH> <#TtempTH> <#tempTL> <#TtempTL> <#windTM> <#TwindTM> <#wgustTM> <#TwgustTM> <#pressTH> <#TpressTH> <#pressTL> <#TpressTL> <#version> <#build> <#wgust> <#heatindex> <#humidex> <#UV> <#ET> <#SolarRad> <#avgbearing> <#rhour> <#forecastnumber> <#isdaylight> <#SensorContactLost> <#wdir> <#cloudbasevalue> <#cloudbaseunit> <#apptemp> <#SunshineHours> <#CurrentSolarMax> <#IsSunny>
Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+

HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bullseye

Post by HansR »

Why can't you just move the realtime.txt (which is in the Cumulus directory) with the extra webfiles facility to the destination you want? Even multiple destinations. Even if you're one cycle behind, that does not really matter does it? The other option is just to have the second site pickup the realtime.txt from the original location. I assume both should work. At least, I have two apps (on one domain) who simply have an URL to the location of the realtime. Works fine.

(Oh, and the above of course has nothing to do with the fact that your new site does not pick up the realtime.txt)
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
cohort

Post by cohort »

OK.... I was pleasantly surprised to find that a duplicated realtime.txt file worked very nicely as long as I put it in the website root. About as simple as it could possibly get and everything updates just fine. HOWEVER...I wanted to put it all in a folder named "test" as there are other projects I wanted to try out over time and the need to keep what I was doing isolated would keep that nicely organised. That's where I came unstuck originally and that still remains the case. No updates. I have put a third realtime.txt upload in Files in Cumulus and directed it to the test folder outside the Meteotemplate template (i.e. in a folder in the web root just next to the template folder) but the standard Cumulus templates remain stuck
PaulMy

Post by PaulMy »

OK.... I was pleasantly surprised to find that a duplicated realtime.txt file worked very nicely as long as I put it in the website root. About as simple as it could possibly get and everything updates just fine. HOWEVER...I wanted to put it all in a folder named "test" as there are other projects I wanted to try out over time and the need to keep what I was doing isolated would keep that nicely organised. That's where I came unstuck originally and that still remains the case. No updates.
The realtimeT.txt template file with the <#webtags> can be anywhere you want it on your computer.
Then in the Cumulus settings Internet Files you point the source Local filenames on the left to where your realtimeT.txt is located, and on the right Remote filenames the path/filename where you want the file to be sent and tick Process and Realtime, and also tick FTP if you want it uploaded to your webserver or leave it blank if it is going to your local computer. If FTP to your webserver then make sure the path is correct for your upload (likely the same as you would have in your Internet Sites/Options Directory setting.

Cumulus will read the realtimeT.txt file at each realtime interval, process it with data where the <#webtags> are, then send it FTP if you have that ticket or as a local file if FTP not ticked. Quite simple.
but the standard Cumulus templates remain stuck
If you have Meteotemplate working and updating with Cumulus realtime then you have the correct path in Internet Sites/Options Directory.
Your http://the9libraries.org.uk/template/realtime.txt seems to be updating

Your http://the9libraries.org.uk/test/realtime.txt seems to be updating
Your http://the9libraries.org.uk/test/index.htm does not appear to be updating
have you ticked Include Standard Files and Include Standard Images in your Internet Files settings?

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+

cohort

Post by cohort »

Adding a snapshot of my Cumulus Files uploads. All seems to be as you suggested,Paul, but it is obstinately resisting doing what it should. Thanks for all the comments, guys, but I will probably have to put that one on hold for the moment. I will keep the test folder as is in the hope that it will right itself (any other possibilities??) and will be content with the fact that the help offered has at least got the Cumulus standard webfiles and Meteotemplate sharing the realtime txt in the web root. I always had this at the back of my mind to try someday so am glad I asked the question and to get the responses
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PaulMy

Post by PaulMy »

Hi,
I would suggest you eliminate the Processing settings of the 3 C:\Cumulus\realtime.txt files in Internet Files settings as that realtime.txt is already a processed file automatically created by Cumulus.

Not sure what the impact is of uploading the same file 3 times at realtime.
As you've found, sharing one realtime.txt on your webserver would likely serve all your templates as long as you have set the path to the realtime.txt correctly in each of those templates.

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+

cohort

Post by cohort »

I have been engaging in a veritable smorgasbord of combinations to see if anything works, shuttling between all options as you outline. The test folder will not function so i think your idea that 3 realtime txt files may be one too many is the unwelcome answer and I have temporarily abandoned that idea. Thanks for the support which has helped me and has, at the very least, enabled me to get two alternatives up and running. If I had tried this two years ago it would have been better for me but I always worried that a second realtime.txt processing would somehow mess up Meteotemplate. That's where timidity gets you.....
beteljuice
Weather Station: None !
Operating System: W10 - Threadripper 16core, etc

Post by beteljuice »

As paul said earlier ...
Your http://the9libraries.org.uk/test/realtime.txt seems to be updating
Your http://the9libraries.org.uk/test/index.htm does not appear to be updating
That would seem to indicate that the base path for cumulus files is at fault.
Index etc. have no use for realtime.txt, they are all processed <#webtags>
......................Imagine, what you will KNOW tomorrow !