Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Data Errors

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Re: Data Errors

Post by RayProudfoot »

Altocumulus, did you stop Cumulus when you edited dayfile.txt?
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

daytime file easy enough to alter (not through the editor, though, there's no OK save button!).
Cumulus 1 Edit Dayfile.txt does have an [OK] button to accept the changes and also a Create missing, but CumulusMX does not have the Dayfile editor so would need to be done manually - and use notepad++ instead of notepad.
t wouldn't be too bad if I could run both side-by-side so that if the MX gets upset at least I won;t have lost any data :D. VP is an option, but that's another set of steps!

I suppose at the worst one could lose a few hours of data if one had to revert back.....
the \data folder files are fully compatible between Cumulus 1 and CumulusMX. You could run Cumulus 1 and edit dayfile.txt and then move the edited file to CumulusMX. Not ideal, but works.

Or, you can stop Cumulus 1, run CumulusMX for a while then stop it, and go back to Cumulus 1 which will then download the data from the logger since the last run of Cumulus 1 and be current and up to date. Then stopping Cumulus 1 you can run CumulusMX again and it will get the data logger data since last run of CumulusMX - each is independent from the other.

With a few exceptions the settings in Cumulus 1 cumulus.ini and CumulusMX Cumulus.ini are compatible and interchangeable (with renaming from cumulus.ini to Cumulus.ini)

Just to be up front, I have Davis VP2 Plus, 2 consoles - Envoy and Vue, and two loggers - Davis USB and third-party WiFiLogger, so can run 2 programs or 2 versions of Cumulus at the same time. I have continued to use Cumulus 1 with the Envoy/USB and upload to my websites. I use CumulusMX with Vue console/WiFilogger for testing both WiFiLogger and CumulusMX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx. The ability to interchange data files between the Cumulus versions has been a reassuring benefit.

If I had to choose one only I'd now pick CumulusMX as it is actively being updated - Windy, WL Live, built-in ss-gauges, easier extra web files FTP, and built-in Weathercloud, and as recently posted by Mark also adding Ecowitt GW1000 (Fine-Offset WiFi) as compatible station.

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm

Altocumulus
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 with Solar
Operating System: Windows 10 Home

Post by Altocumulus »

Hi Ray - Indeed.

Hi Paul, if it does contain an OK button I could not find it - mind the editor leaves a lot to be desired - especially as Cumulus continually pauses as it updates.

But your suggestion on toggling makes sense, thank you. How much, time-wise, is contained within the buffer for update?
ExperiMentor
Weather Station: Fine Offset & Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 10; Raspbian Buster

Post by ExperiMentor »

Altocumulus wrote: Thu 14 Nov 2019 9:18 am It wouldn't be too bad if I could run both side-by-side so that if the MX gets upset at least I won;t have lost any data :D. VP is an option, but that's another set of steps!

I suppose at the worst one could lose a few hours of data if one had to revert back..... :lol:
My simple Maplin weather station logs more than a month of 10-minute-apart data. So as long as I run each of Cumulus 1 or CumulusMX at least once a month, each will get all the data, without any loss. That's because each program looks in the log for data it hasn't got; rather than the station 'being sure to send the data somewhere'.
Altocumulus

Post by Altocumulus »

Good to know, thank you....
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

Hi Paul, if it does contain an OK button I could not find it - mind the editor leaves a lot to be desired - especially as Cumulus continually pauses as it updates.
c1-dayfileedit.png
Perhaps your station with Cumulus behaves different and I don't have that continuous pause with the Davis.

Enjoy,
Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm

Altocumulus

Post by Altocumulus »

No worries Paul.

It's odd, on previous occasions I've never been able to find the OK section when I've needed it.
My start was in 2011, whilst you have data from 2008, but that's unlikely to have changed this edit section between builds. Odd indeed!

I've mentioned the pause before and it was explained it's likely to be the program pausing while it creates data files.

Thanks.....
Altocumulus

Post by Altocumulus »

I guess my unit is in need of a service!

Last night at 00, 01 and 02 hrs, the temperature, again, was recorded at minus 67.8C!

Oh Joy....
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

Replacement temperature / humidity sensor required I'm afraid.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

Altocumulus

Post by Altocumulus »

My thought, too Ray....
Altocumulus

Post by Altocumulus »

New Sensor.....

Last night, for one observation, around 01:00; minimum temperature was -67.8C :groan:
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

It must be faulty. Can't think of any software reason why it would happen. Where did you buy it from? Definitely new?
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

Altocumulus

Post by Altocumulus »

Hi Ray,

Bought from Prodata, the company from where the unit came from originally. I'll see what they say about it.....
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

Same company where I bought mine from. Strange. They'll swap it I'm sure.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

Altocumulus

Post by Altocumulus »

Indeed, at least I hope they'll come up with a solution. Funny how it was for just one observation, and all these issues (old sensor and new) only started after I installed a fresh battery (they last 14 months).