Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

24 Hour Sunshine?

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
JandJCoops
Weather Station: WS3083
Operating System: Windows 7

24 Hour Sunshine?

Post by JandJCoops »

24 hour sunshine sounds great but it's not correct, even in Devon! Could you help me fix this please?

We are using an Aercus WS3083 and Cumulus 1.9.4. For a year now we have been showing 24 hours of sunshine on the graph. See attached screenshot.

I have searched the forum and some people mention the sunshine threshold and I have tried various combinations of those. See attached screenshot to see current settings.

The sunshine hours increment by .1 each 5 minutes every day as can be seen in the day log attached.

I have also attached the day file. Any help would be appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Re: 24 Hour Sunshine?

Post by PaulMy »

Sorry I am not familiar with the settings or tinkering, and that constant 0.1 increment increase seems to indicate some kind of bug somewhere.

For my Davis VP2 Plus I have the default settings in Cumulus MX http://www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/trends.htm
I find this usually shows much more sunshine compared to the Blake-Larsen
http://www.komokaweather.com/weather/su ... today.html
http://www.komokaweather.com/weather/su ... ays30.html
and the B-L would be the most accurate

Ole will gladly sell you a B-L ;) but their website is down at present www.sunrecorder.net

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm

JandJCoops

Post by JandJCoops »

Thanks for you reply PaulMy. I don't think I want to buy a B-L do I?

I think the .1 increment is a bug too which is why I've posted this.
beteljuice
Weather Station: None !
Operating System: W10 - Threadripper 16core, etc

Post by beteljuice »

So what changed a year ago ?
... and does every day give 24 sun (sounds like sensor problem) cross posted with Mark
Last edited by beteljuice on Wed 23 Jan 2019 3:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
......................Imagine, what you will KNOW tomorrow !
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Odd, your settings look correct, it looks like it is logging sensible values for the solar irradiation from your file - 0 at night building up to 247 W/m2 at mid-day.

But I can see from your screen shot that it is graphing an almost constant 800 W/m2 day and night.

It does sound like a bug, but there is nothing we can do to fix Cumulus 1, unless somebody has seen this before and knows of a fix, your only option is to move to Cumulus MX.
JandJCoops

Post by JandJCoops »

Thanks for looking Mark, we will move to MX. We love Cumulus, thank you for taking it over.
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,

The daylog.xls file shows the UV Index (R) and Solar Radiation (S) as always 15 and 789, what does the Console show? Note that column "W" is only the calculated (i.e. expected) "Maximum Solar Radiation".

With the Fine Offset stations, the UVI and "Lux" values are transmitted in a separate data packet by the "Solar Pod", so it is quite possible for the solar data to fail whilst the other External data is fine. Have you tried resetting the Pod (pushbutton and/or remove all power sources) and re-synchronising the data transmissions (press in the <down-arrow> button for ten seconds) ?

Cheers, Alan.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

AllyCat wrote: Thu 24 Jan 2019 10:12 am The daylog.xls file shows the UV Index (R) and Solar Radiation (S) as always 15 and 789, what does the Console show? Note that column "W" is only the calculated (i.e. expected) "Maximum Solar Radiation".
Doh! Thanks Alan, I WAS reading the wrong column.
JandJCoops

Post by JandJCoops »

Thanks Alan - yes, we have done all the pushing the pod reset and power removal things many times. Someone else asked what happened a year ago, nothing particular. I looked at the error logs but nothing showed.

I've installed CumulusMX this morning but haven't managed to get it running yet. I'm missing a trick at the moment methinks. Still, the old version is still running which is fine.
AllyCat

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,

What does the Console display show? If that's wrong, then there's no point in looking to Cumulus (any version) to solve the problem. If the Console display is inoperative then you could try installing and running the "official" software "Easyweather Plus" (Just the Once :) ). But it can't run at the same time as Cumulus.

Cheers, Alan.
JandJCoops

Post by JandJCoops »

That's a good point. At the moment it says sunshine >12 Extreme. The trouble is it is too late as I have already tried to install CumulusMX but can't get it to run. I managed to type in the netsh line and got a URL reservation success message, see attached, but when I try to run the CumulusMX.exe, I get the original command window back telling me to enter the netsh string and the IP again, see attached. I have entered the string 5 times now plus 3 installs, 2 of them using the current Cumulus directory and when that didn't work I did the other sequence of doing a completely fresh install from scratch of CumulusMX after uninstalling Cumulus first. There is no display at all, the screen just stays as shown on the attached. I wanted to move on to MX as it says there is no support for 1.9.4 so I took the opportunity to move up.

Hope someone can help me get it running.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AllyCat

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,
JandJCoops wrote: Fri 25 Jan 2019 8:22 am At the moment it says sunshine >12 Extreme. ...... after uninstalling Cumulus first.
The ">12 / Extreme" is the UV Index and should never reach 12 in UK, so that is obviously wrong. If you Reset the Pod and the Console and the Console screen refills with values like those, ideally at the same time as the Red LED on the Pod flashes (if you can see it), then the Pod is very probably faulty. They're quite complex and I've had two fail.

It happens that "spares" are available from one UK ebay seller at quite a reasonable price (£20 delivered) because there's not much demand for them. They're (almost) useless without the (Solar compatible) Transmitter, which more commonly fails, and costs (much) more to replace.
_____

There was no need to uninstall Cumulus 1 (there almost never is ! ) but it should be easy to reinstall and keep it available, even if you do move to MX.

Cheers, Alan.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

JandJCoops wrote: Fri 25 Jan 2019 8:22 am There is no display at all, the screen just stays as shown on the attached.
That is correct, it says "Normal running", that means the MX is running OK. It found your station and connected to it.

Cumulus MX does not have GUI interface like Cumulus 1. To get the management interface, start your browser and point it at http://localhost:8998 as it says in the screen.

You need to read all the information Steve put in the first post of the Cumulus MX announcement thread.

There is no need to uninstall Cumulus 1 - Just copy CumulusMX folder provided in the zip to your computer and run MX from there.
JandJCoops

Post by JandJCoops »

Thanks Alan, have ordered a new Pod, it's due on Tuesday.

As you have both said there was no need to uninstall Cumulus 1 but I have worked with software before where the previous version was upsetting the new version, like with virus software. I was being overcautious when I couldn't get it going and there was no necessity.
JandJCoops

Post by JandJCoops »

Thanks Mark, all working now. I had avidly read Steve's how to install article but had not taken note of the important part in the Introduction, much to my shame :oops:

Thanks for your patience.