Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Instromet Datalogger Question

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
Chapel
Weather Station: Instromet
Operating System: Raspbian

Instromet Datalogger Question

Post by Chapel »

Hi,

We installed an Instromet datalogger/cables/etc over the weekend and yesterday afternoon downloaded the Cumulus software as it had been recommended. We cannot get the software to receive any data, cables/datalogger/com port/ have all been checked, software reinstalled.

What are we missing?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Instromet Datalogger Question

Post by steve »

If you zip up the diags folder and attach it to a reply in this thread, I'll take a look.
Steve
Chapel

Post by Chapel »

Please find files attached. We are convinced it is a comms error however we have tried two machines and two different serial to usb adapters with no luck.
Diags.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Yes, looks like a comms error, it seems to be rejecting everything with 'invalid checksum', which suggests some kind of corruption in the incoming data packets (but I think it may signal the same error if it wasn't getting anything at all). If you add "Logging=1" to the [Station] section in Cumulus.ini before starting Cumulus, it may log something useful to the debug.log file.
Steve
Chapel

Post by Chapel »

I ran it for a very short period, shout if you need a few more minutes of data.
debug.log
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
/d

steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Thanks, that doesn't really narrow it down (because of the way the logging works), but more wouldn't help. So all I can say is that it's apparently some kind of comms issue.
Steve
Chapel

Post by Chapel »

As an update we tried three Windows 10 machines, two serial to USB adapters before resorting to Linux, something neither of us have worked with for years and all to no avail, then this morning my wife suggested loading CumulusMX onto the original Win10 laptop and it worked instantly which is great news for us :)

I, of course have a couple more questions that I have searched the forum for with no identical hits so I will start a new post.

Thank you for your assistance.
/d

steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Hope you find MX OK for your needs. You have reminded me that there are two current versions of 1.9.4 for Instromet users depending on which version of the logger you have, perhaps you had the wrong one. Or I may be misremembering and what I just said was rubbish.
Steve
sfws
Weather Station: Chas O, Maplin N96FY, N25FR
Operating System: rPi 3B+ with Buster (full)

Post by sfws »

steve wrote:You have reminded me that there are two current versions of 1.9.4 for Instromet users depending on which version of the logger you have, perhaps you had the wrong one.
Steve, your memory is right, see Wiki http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/Cumulus_Versions (I have not checked if download links in Wiki article still work).
The final production version of Cumulus 1 (running in Windows for all supported weather stations) can be downloaded at v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 Nov 2014.

If you are an Instromet user, and your logger operates at 115200 baud, you should use build 1100 at special 1.9.4 build 1100.

If you are an Instromet user, and your logger operates at 19200 baud, you should use build 1101 at special 1.9.4 build 1101.
Chapel

Post by Chapel »

Yes, we tried build 1100 as our datalogger runs at 115,200 Baud rate but to no avail. It was the move to CumulusMX that resolved everything and I have no idea why, I am not convinced it was a hardware issue as we tried multiple systems including Linux. Regardless of this we are running now which is the important part and I am inclined to vaguely blame the Win platform for this :)
/d