Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

FTP Connect Error 500

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
WxLee
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2/Vue
Operating System: Windows 7x64 SP1

FTP Connect Error 500

Post by WxLee »

Getting a lot of FTP Connect Error 500 entries on the Cumulus Error Log. Weather Underground seems to be getting a continuous data stream, but for some reason my weather website you are hosing shows the station has been down for over 22 hours. Before I look for causes, are there any server side issues you are having?

If not, can you suggest a fix? I am now using a static IP address in my router and WeatherLinkIP so that my router can't keep changing it. I don't see any broken data streams in the charts on Cumulus. I have the data logger set to update every 10 minutes, with an 8 second Discon period so I can also feed Weather Underground. Internet settings are Web Setting 15 min. interval with Realtime interval of 30 secs.

I've turned on FTP logging so I can look later to see what is in that log.
duke

Re: FTP Connect Error 500

Post by duke »

WxLee

Post by WxLee »

Thanks!
colinpb
Weather Station: VP2+SHT31+DFars+Solar+AeroCone
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by colinpb »

The zero file is not a real problem, it only happens 4 or 5 times a year and is an easy fix. The problem shows up when steel gauges reports http error in the scroll bar on the webpage with the time of last update. However the rest of the web site still updates. From memory the problem file is always realtimegauges which is not only zero in size but has an extension something like .TXT.tmp. It might possibly be the odd extension cumulus doesn’t recognise and cannot over right. Delete this file and the problems gone.

However that’s not the issue this time, as I cannot even get FileZilla to start as it reports error code 401. I’ve tried a number of FileZilla fixes but no joy. The previous day FileZilla updated to the latest version, thinking this might be the problem I uninstalled it. No joy, cumulus is still reporting error 500; but at least my Weatherunderground and WOW site are still updating. I suspect there may be some kind of corruption in my website files on the host server as I cannot think of anything else. I did think it might one of the numerous 1607 win 10 updates, but the computers not showing any problems.

Colin
WxLee

Post by WxLee »

Colin, could you please post what you said above on the other thread mentioned in duke's reply? Steve has been in that thread, and I think he should see that info. Thanks.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

There's no need to duplicate the post, I've read it. I can't say any more than I've already said, other than to say that the 'tmp' extension is not a problem as far as Cumulus is concerned, it's Cumulus that creates that extension in the first place. As Mark has said elsewhere, the problem occurs when a transfer goes wrong (for whatever reason) and a zero-length file gets left behind. For some reason this file cannot then be overwritten, so no further updates take place - this is why deleting the tmp file makes the problem go away.

I've deleted the zero-length files from both of your sites.
Steve
WxLee

Post by WxLee »

Thanks, Steve. Things are working again. :)

I wonder if you could employ some kind of script that hunts for such zero length tmp files and deletes them as soon as they are created and left behind? Here is an example of such a tool, I found online.

http://www.howtogeek.com/122294/automat ... d-folders/
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

That did occur to me; it's not something I can look at right now for various reasons associated with my new lifestyle as a wild rover. The utility you've linked to is for Windows, so no use as the server runs Linux. But I'm sure something similar can be done.
Steve
WxLee

Post by WxLee »

Actually, when I did the Google search for automatically remove empty files the first few returns were for Linux. :) Not being into Linux ( I've tried for decades, always concluding it is an unfriendly pain in the OS), I kept searching until I ran across some more familiar Windows options.

Being unencumbered by previous constraints is always a blessing. I have learned this since retiring. I am glad you have found something similar. Hopefully this Error 500 issue will be a rarity such that you can handle it manually each time it pops up.