Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Win 10, No Auto Startup

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
Ken22
Weather Station: Oregon Scientific WMR968
Operating System: Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

Win 10, No Auto Startup

Post by Ken22 »

I just upgraded from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro using Cumulus 1.9.4.

I have Cumulus setup to load on startup and start minimized. This worked fine on Win 7.

On Win 10, if I do not run Cumulus as "Administrator", the process starts up as a background process and no icon appears on the task bar. I have no way of knowing if it is actually working because I can not get it to appear on my screen.

If I set "Run as Administrator", it starts up with a pop-up box asking if I want to allow app from an unknown publisher to make changes to my PC. If I say "Yes" it loads and works as expected.

The problem is that if the system reboots when I am not there, the box will come up and Cumulus will never start.

I could turn off "ALL" such notifications, but I would loose a valued security protection on my system.

Is there any way to get Cumulus to run without asking a question and still not disable the security feature for all other programs?

Ken
===
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Win 10, No Auto Startup

Post by steve »

The FAQ suggests that you use Task Scheduler - http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/FAQ#How_do ... _starts.3F

If you're already doing that, I'm out of ideas.
Steve
Ken22
Weather Station: Oregon Scientific WMR968
Operating System: Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

Post by Ken22 »

steve wrote:The FAQ suggests that you use Task Scheduler - http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/FAQ#How_do ... _starts.3F
I tried that long ago, but it did not work because it ran too soon in the process before other things were ready, so I did it a different way which included a 30 second delay before attempting to start Cumulus. Since I have now changed operating systems, I will take your suggestion and try going back to the TS.

Thanks for you prompt response in pointing me in the right direction.

Ken
===
Super-T
Weather Station: wh-1081
Operating System: Weather Laptop - Windows 10 Pro

Post by Super-T »

Try Ctrl/Alt/Del and run Task Manager. Under the START-UP tab you will see all the starting items.

Go to File at top left and "Run new task" and fill in the details.

Works on my system.
BigOkie
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus
Operating System: Raspian Buster (RPi 3b)

Post by BigOkie »

Super-T wrote:Try Ctrl/Alt/Del and run Task Manager. Under the START-UP tab you will see all the starting items.

Go to File at top left and "Run new task" and fill in the details.

Works on my system.
I've never been able to get much of anything working in that manner on Windows 10. I've reverted to using Task Scheduler to start up StartWatch which then starts up the programs I want running.