Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Degree Days, Need Help With NOAA Setup

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
Ken22
Weather Station: Oregon Scientific WMR968
Operating System: Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

Degree Days, Need Help With NOAA Setup

Post by Ken22 »

I never used degree days before, but I need them now.

I found them under the NOAA reports, but they made no sense. It appears that the default values for Heating and Cooling Threshold were set to reasonable Celsius values, but were not updated when the unit of measure became F.

I also don't understand what the Max/Min temp and rain comparisons do or how to set them. I read the help file, but I'm still lost.

Even though I have reset the configuration numbers, the monthly report still shows the meaningless values. Is there a way to regenerate the report with the new parameters?

Lastly, where would I look for a source of data for the normal monthly data for my area?

Thanks,

Ken
===
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Degree Days, Need Help With NOAA Setup

Post by steve »

Ken22 wrote:I found them under the NOAA reports, but they made no sense. It appears that the default values for Heating and Cooling Threshold were set to reasonable Celsius values, but were not updated when the unit of measure became F.
Cumulus sets them according to the temperature unit you choose when you first run Cumulus, and it is expected that you never change units after that, or bad things happen. It won't attempt to change the figures after they have been set for the first time, unless you change them manually.
I also don't understand what the Max/Min temp and rain comparisons do or how to set them. I read the help file, but I'm still lost.
They control the summary figures that get displayed on the reports - the number of days that had a temperature or rainfall within the thresholds that you set. You set them on the NOAA setup screen.
Even though I have reset the configuration numbers, the monthly report still shows the meaningless values. Is there a way to regenerate the report with the new parameters?
Not for the heating and cooling degree days, because Cumulus has to calculate those as it goes along, it can't do it retrospectively. They're stored in dayfile.txt at the end of each day.
Lastly, where would I look for a source of data for the normal monthly data for my area?
Can't help with that one, sorry.
Steve
Ken22
Weather Station: Oregon Scientific WMR968
Operating System: Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

Re: Degree Days, Need Help With NOAA Setup

Post by Ken22 »

steve wrote:Cumulus sets them according to the temperature unit you choose when you first run Cumulus, and it is expected that you never change units after that, or bad things happen. It won't attempt to change the figures after they have been set for the first time, unless you change them manually.
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the quick response. When I first installed Cumulus years ago, I messed up and installed it with degrees C. 15 minutes later I realized that it was wrong and changed to F, but I guess it was too late by then.

Ken
===