Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Weather Underground to Cumulus

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
Nin3DSFan
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 10

Weather Underground to Cumulus

Post by Nin3DSFan »

I've seen a few old topics on here about uploading historic data to Weather Underground, however, this is the opposite.
I have some data that was uploaded to Weather Underground before having to wipe the data from Cumulus. Can I simply manually use Excel to download the Wunderground data, rearrange into the columns used by Cumulus, converting values where necessary (i.e. km/h to mph)? As long as they are named correctly, e.g. Nov14log?

If that would work, what formula does Cumulus use to calculate heat index and windchill? I know the formula used for "apparent temperature".

Also, I think some values may not be possible, such as "Average wind bearing", and any "Inside" conditions, etc?
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Weather Underground to Cumulus

Post by steve »

Nin3DSFan wrote:I have some data that was uploaded to Weather Underground before having to wipe the data from Cumulus. Can I simply manually use Excel to download the Wunderground data, rearrange into the columns used by Cumulus, converting values where necessary (i.e. km/h to mph)? As long as they are named correctly, e.g. Nov14log?
Yes, make sure you use the correct formats, particularly for dates and times.
what formula does Cumulus use to calculate heat index and windchill?
It uses this open source library: http://www.softwx.com/weather/uwxutils.html
Steve
Nin3DSFan

Post by Nin3DSFan »

Yeah... this is not working.
The formulas are going to end up looking messed up.... and that's if I can even work out what to type in the first place

The "apparent temperature" is easy. It's the heat index, and wind chill that I can't seem to get working.
The heat index, is the most complex of all of them. With all of the "temperature squared" stuff.

If I actually managed to get it working, the formula would be far too long, like: =If(AND(((C2*1.8)+32)<50,F2>3)((C2*1.8)+32)*(30.75^(F2/1.8^25)-D2/100+E2-F2+SQRT(F2^0.751))-(F2^0.62),((C2*1.8)+32))
Especially since the formulas are using kmh and Fahrenheit, which means whenever it says a temperature, I then have to replace that with "((C2*1.8)+32)", etc.

If there was a way of inserting just the temperature, humidity and windspeed values, etc, and then have cumulus re-calculate windchill, heat index, apparent temperature, that'd be easier, but I don't think there is.
sfws
Weather Station: Chas O, Maplin N96FY, N25FR
Operating System: rPi 3B+ with Buster (full)

Post by sfws »

Nin3DSFan wrote:If there was a way of inserting just the temperature, humidity and windspeed values, etc, and then have cumulus re-calculate windchill, heat index, apparent temperature, that'd be easier, but I don't think there is.
see
http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/Monthly_lo ... ular_dates for some hints on e.g. how to add windchill to daily log files from monthly log files that don't have wind chill but do have temperature and wind speed
Last edited by sfws on Wed 04 Jan 2017 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nin3DSFan

Post by Nin3DSFan »

That doesn't really help. That assumes that you already have existing Monthly log files that you wish to use to create missing dayfile.txt entries.
What I meant was creating the monthly logs themselves. That is, using historic data from Wunderground, and inserting this into an Excel spreadsheet in the relevant columns for Cumulus Monthly log files. The only thing I can easily get from WU would be date, time, temperature, humidity, dew point, wind, wind direction, gust, rain, and pressure.

Apparent temperature is easy enough.

Other values, such as "average wind direction", heat index, wind chill, etc, are harder.

Inside temperature and Inside humidity are obviously impossible, since that is never actually uploaded anywhere (by default).
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

You would be better using custom functions in Excel rather than forumulae, it will be much easier to do the conversions you require.
Nin3DSFan

Post by Nin3DSFan »

How would that help with calculating heat index or wind chill, etc?
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Only because the VBA code is much easier to write, understand and debug than a very long formula, plus you can use small helper functions for F->C and vice versa. etc.
Nin3DSFan

Post by Nin3DSFan »

It'd still be nice if you could manually create partial Monthly logs, and have Cumulus automatically calculate apparent temperature, heat index, windchill, etc, from the humidity, temperature, and windspeed values.