Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

usb port

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
risiss
Weather Station: Thermor 265nc

usb port

Post by risiss »

is there a virtual usb port i can use to run 2 software on the same usb port?...all i can find is for serial com port :?
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: usb port

Post by steve »

I don't think you'll find one, because of the way USB HID devices work. And if it's for a Fine Offset weather station, then I think you would need something written specifically for the weather station, like Virtual VP for the Davis stations, because it's a two-way protocol, so the software would need to be intelligent and 'marshall' the requests and responses. But I am not a USB expert, and I could be completely wrong about this.
Steve
gemini06720
Weather Station: No weather station
Operating System: No operating system

Post by gemini06720 »

risiss, are you short of a USB port?

If you need additional USB ports, it would be better that you get a USB hub, meaning an adaptor with 4-5-6-7 additional USB ports all connected by cable to one USB port on the computer.
risiss

Post by risiss »

gemini...

no im not short of usb port i just wanna use cumulus and weather display at the same time
gemini06720

Post by gemini06720 »

risiss wrote:no im not short of usb port i just wanna use cumulus and weather display at the same time
What I know so far, you have one weather station (a Thermor 265nc) connected to a computer via a USB port. You would like to run, simultaneously, both Cumulus and Weather Display.

From my past experiences (I have had a weather station for the past 8 years), you can only run one weather software at the time with each (weather station) receiver.

In the past, I have been able to run 2 copies of Weather Display on the same computer, but each copy of Weather Display was getting its weather data from a different (weather station) receiver (a La Crosse and a Davis Vantage Pro).

My weather computer is running (simultaneously) Cumulus, Weather Display, WXSIM and VPLive - the weather computer can do that because it uses Virtual VP, a software specifically written to read the weather data from the Davis Vantage Pro and send that data on 4 serial ports and 4 TCP/IP ports (technically, up to 8 different weather software can be operated at the same time).

Unless you can get an additional (weather station) receiver (for the second weather software), I do not know of any way you can run 2 weather software at the same time. :(
risiss

Post by risiss »

ok thanks gemini for the reply,what would happen if i make myself a 2 in one usb cable thas gonna come from th sender unit and then split into 2 different usb port :mrgreen:
gemini06720

Post by gemini06720 »

risiss wrote:ok thanks gemini for the reply,what would happen if i make myself a 2 in one usb cable thas gonna come from th sender unit and then split into 2 different usb port :mrgreen:
Probably will not work... :roll:

You might even 'fry' your motherboard... :twisted:
risiss

Post by risiss »

well.....

i have done that when i had my first weather station,a wx200 ,ive splitted the rs232 cable in 2 and plugged them in the PC and i was able tu run weather display and VWS at the same time

its dead now,cause= lightning tooo close :o
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

RS232 is not USB, and the WX200 station uses a 'read only' protocol - the station just keeps transmitting, and the software just listens, so it's quite feasible to split the signal. With Fine Offset stations, because they use USB, the software sends a USB 'read' request and gets a reply; if the station has two bits of software talking to it at the same time it will get confused. I am all for scientific experiment, but as Ray says, you are in danger of breaking your hardware, and unless another piece of software is involved, you can't have two programs talking to the same (Fine Offset) weather station at the same time.

All you need to do is write the Fine Offset equivalent of Virtual VP. Actually, because it's just a case of reading the data over USB, it doesn't have to be as clever as Virtual VP, it just has to make sure that the USB reads don't overlap. And make the station look like two different stations.
Steve