Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Issues with Windows 10

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
waymegelli
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 10

Issues with Windows 10

Post by waymegelli »

In the past few months, I've frequently gotten a message from Wunderground saying my station has not reported for 2 hours. I check and see that Cumulus is "not responding". I can't make it respond without rebooting my computer and restarting Cumulus. Just today I realized that this increase in "not responding" began about the time I switched to Windows 10. Before then, the program would work for weeks - maybe months - without a problem. Now, every couple of days I have to reboot. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is it related to Windows 10?
To solve this, I decided to try reinstalling Cumulus. Bad idea. It downloaded, but when I click the file to install it, nothing happens. I already uninstalled the previous copy, so now I'm completely without any Cumulus! What have I done and can anyone help me fix it? Thanks in advance.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Issues with Windows 10

Post by steve »

Assuming you have a USB logger, have you installed the latest drivers from SiLabs? Have you made sure that you have no USB power saving settings? Is your logger firmly attached - apparently there is an issue with the Vue where the logger can become loose?

There are lots of people using Cumulus on Windows 10 without any issues.

I can't help with the installer not working, that sounds like a corrupt download or some issue with your system.
Steve
waymegelli

Post by waymegelli »

I finally got Cumulus downloaded and installed after several reboots. I have no idea what the problem was.
Regarding your questions - I'm out of my element here. I bought the Vantage Vue a couple of years ago and managed to get it set up and working, but I don't recall any of the details. Is the logger the Davis console that receives the wireless signal and sends it to the computer via USB? If so, then, Yes, I have a USB logger. I have no idea who SiLabs is, so I haven't installed any of their drivers, nor would I have any idea how to do so. I'm quite sure I have no USB power savers. The USB from the console to the computer is as secure as it ever was and is not subject to any bumping or movement.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

waymegelli wrote:I have no idea who SiLabs is, so I haven't installed any of their drivers, nor would I have any idea how to do so.
See the FAQ - http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/FAQ#How_do ... Cumulus.3F
I'm quite sure I have no USB power savers
Oh, OK. They do tend to be set by default, and Windows 10 upgrades have a habit of resetting things, but if you're sure, that's fine.
Steve
waymegelli

Post by waymegelli »

I downloaded and installed the latest drivers and rebooted. Everything is working fine for now, but we'll see what happens in the next few days. Thanks for your help - so far.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

If it hangs again, zip up the diags folder and attach it to a reply in this thread. "Not responding" almost certainly means it's stuck in some Windows system code somewhere (e.g. a driver) but there might be something in the diags to hint towards the problem.
Steve
waymegelli

Post by waymegelli »

Well, it lasted about 10 days, but it did it again. I rebooted but now it won't run at all. I double-clicked and nothing happened. I right-clicked and choose "run as admin" and nothing. Where would I find the diags folder?

Edit - 1 hour later - It turns out none of my programs would work. There's something seriously wrong with my computer. It took me an hour of boots and reboots and hard shut downs, but I finally got everything working again, including Cumulus. Let's see how long it lasts this time. Again - where would I find the diags folder?
Last edited by waymegelli on Thu 14 Jan 2016 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

waymegelli wrote:Where would I find the diags folder?
In the Cumulus installation folder. Instructions are in the post linked to near the top of the forum - "Please click here before posting..."
Steve
waymegelli

Post by waymegelli »

It did it again! I've attached the zipped Diag folder per your request. I hope it tells you something.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

There are no clues in there, I'm afraid, the log just stops with no indication of any problems.

While probably not related, I did notice that you are allowing the PC to go into standby while Cumulus is running, which will cause gaps in your data.
Steve
waymegelli

Post by waymegelli »

Going into standby has never been a problem in the past. But that's a different issue. Once again, I can't get Cumulus to run. I rebooted and still nothing. I tried reinstalling by clicking the file download from your website, then choosing "run", but nothing happens. I tried "save", then moved the CumulusSetup.exe file to my Cumulus folder, then double-clicked it - still nothing. So I tried uninstalling Cumulus, but it doesn't show up in my "installed programs" list. Yet, when I go to the Cumulus folder and try to delete, it says it's running. I tried other programs and everything else works fine, so I guess my computer has decided it just doesn't like Cumulus anymore.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

waymegelli wrote:...it says it's running.
There's the clue. It is still running but in the background. Have you set it to auto-start in some way when Windows starts?
waymegelli

Post by waymegelli »

I never shut my computer off. In settings, I have the screen turning off after 20 minutes, but the computer "goes to sleep after" Never. Is there another setting somewhere?
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

That setting should do it (stop it suspending automatically). But it was definitely suspending on the 2nd January. There's no sign of it doing it since then in the Cumulus logs.
Steve
waymegelli

Post by waymegelli »

Yes-I was making a new user account on my computer back on Jan 2 and was testing the sleep mode - that's what caused that. I rebooted the computer again and was able to download and install Cumulus, but I had to go thru the initial setup screen. Once I choose the correct COM port, it began to communicate just fine. I was a little surprised to see that it had the correct yearly rainfall amount even though I did not enter it in the setup screen. So once again, all is fine for the time being. I expect I'll have another failure within a week.