Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Cumulus 'locking up' W10 64bit

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
bigharps
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 +
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Cumulus 'locking up' W10 64bit

Post by bigharps »

Since November 3, Cumulus has 'locked up' and defies any method of closing down short of rebooting the computer.
Task Manager always seemed to stop delinquent programs in W7.
I ignored it, but now it is becoming sort of regular.
I get a message in the error tab on the console, similar to: "19/11/2015 3:37:51 PM : Error on line 3426 of C:\Cumulus\data\Nov15log.txt: List index out of bounds (1)"
This has occurred on 3,7(twice),13(twice),14, 18 & 19 of November.
The last 3 or 4 times the computer has locked while telling me it is rebooting (the first time I went away and made a cuppa, but after 15 minutes I gave up!) and I've had to use the reset button, then all is OK.
I've attached a zip file of cumulus.001 - 009.
I have a dump file, from today's stoppage, which is 227MB, and I can upload it if necessary.
I installed W10 in July, and it's been fine until now.
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by bigharps on Thu 19 Nov 2015 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Re: Cumulus 'locking up' W10 64bit

Post by water01 »

Have you fixed the error in the data on line 3426 of C:\Cumulus\data\Nov15log.txt? This would my first step as this where Cumulus writes your logger entries from your station so it is continually accessed during the day, so if Cumulus has a problem with it, that is probably causing the problem.
David
bigharps
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 +
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Post by bigharps »

I just now opened the file in Word so I could count lines, and found line 3426 was an empty line. Also, it was on 3/11 - the first day the problem occurred.
Still wondering why the shutdowns were sort of random...
Anyway, exited Cumulus and edited Nov15log.txt with notepad after I found the error in a copy of the file. I'll see how it goes from now.
Thanks for the tip, water01.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

It could also be that the log file corruptions occur as a result of rebooting while Cumulus is running, rather than being the direct cause of the problem. But either way, they are likely to be a clue - if a program is difficult to kill, it's a sign that it's executing system code, in your case most likely while writing to the file. So perhaps you have an issue with your hard drive.

A couple of other people have had issues with Windows 10, however, which may or may not be a coincidence. The recent major update may have helped.
Steve
dc1500
Weather Station: Watson W-8681 (Fine Offset type)
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by dc1500 »

This may or may not be connected but another Cumulus user gone over to Windows 10 was having flat lining while he was away. It appeared to coincide with Windows updates. I have had one or two that a simple restart has fixed. But yesterday my temperature dived 15C and stayed there and wind was wrong as well. Looking at daily log file I could see it was directly after a Windows 10 auto update at 3.30 am. I suspect it may have rebooted whilst Cumulus was running and although it would have restarted the damage would have been done. It appears to throw the USB connection. Anyway I will set the debug log running and see what happens next time it auto updates.
Dave
ICP963
Weather Station: Vantage Vue
Operating System: Raspbian

Post by ICP963 »

Automatic updates can be a real killer. I would turn them off if Windoze 10 allows it and do them manually when needed.

Better still, I would seriously consider moving everything off your Windoze box and onto a Raspberry Pi or Banana Pi. For the small cost of a Pi you get your computer back for yourself and not the station use. Plus you can power as well.
Roy Schahrer - N7QYK
Chandler, AZ
WX Station : Davis Vantage Vue with USB Datalogger
WX Computer: Raspberry Pi 3 Model B running Raspbian
Software : CumulusMX Beta 3041