Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

usb adaptor, vista, etc.

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
toddszr600
Weather Station: OR968

usb adaptor, vista, etc.

Post by toddszr600 »

Ok, so my hard drive failed and it was time to upgrade anyway so that means Vista and no serial port.

I got a usb to serial adaptor, it installed no problem, but now I get the "port in use or busy" message when I start cumulus. I used to get this on the old(xp) box if i forgot to unplug the station when rebooting.

Sooo....., help?, advice?, suggestions on a good adaptor. Im no computer genius by any stretch, but can muddle my way through most things with some help.

Cheers, Todd
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: usb adaptor, vista, etc.

Post by steve »

What type of station?
Steve
toddszr600

Post by toddszr600 »

Sorry ,hit the button too quickly there. Its a OS968
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

And presumably the 'boot with station disconnected' trick doesn't work at all? I'm afraid I don't know anything about serial to USB adapters. Hopefully someone else has a similiar setup and will be able to advise...
Steve
gemini06720
Weather Station: No weather station
Operating System: No operating system

Post by gemini06720 »

toddszr600,

I am a bit late joining this conversation...

Just curious....

Could you please explain why you wrote previously "...so that means Vista and no serial port..." - are you indicating that serial ports cannot be used with Vista or that your new computer does not have a serial port?

I have just installed Windows 7 RC (about 2 weeks ago), my desktop computer has 2 serial ports and I have no problem communicating with/through them.
toddszr600

Post by toddszr600 »

Nope, no serial ports at all. I bought a whole new tower and none of the new units(or laptops) have a built in serial port. I assume you just upgraded you OS and that your box is still the old one with built in ports??, I could get a serial port card I suppose.

I now have a good adapter and am running it with "Weather Display" software with no issues, yet Cumulus still gives me "cannot open, another app may have opened......"

If I could specify a com port in the "configure/station" area I might be able to get it, maybe Im doing something wrong in the setup.

Bummer, I like the nice clean display of cumulus, but its Weather Display for now.

Cheers, Todd
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

toddszr600 wrote:If I could specify a com port in the "configure/station" area I might be able to get it, maybe Im doing something wrong in the setup.
I don't understand - why can't you specify a com port?
Steve
gemini06720

Post by gemini06720 »

Todd.

Indeed, I am still using an older motherboard and computer case which have 2 serial ports.

I am looking (shopping) for a new computer and I guess I will have to get a serial card since, it seems, serial ports are not included on newer motherboards...

By the way, on my (dedicated) weather computer, I am running both Weather Display and Cumulus. The Davis Vantage Pro2 weather station is connected to Virtual VP, a software that allows me to connect up to 8 different weather software (4 via serial port numbers and 4 via IP addresses).

Which port number are you using in your setup for Weather Display - you should be able to use the same port number with Cumulus.

NOTE: You will not be able to use both Weather Display and Cumulus at the same time ... unless you have a Davis Vantage weather station and Virtual VP.
beteljuice
Weather Station: None !
Operating System: W10 - Threadripper 16core, etc

Post by beteljuice »

.. since, it seems, serial ports are not included on newer motherboards.
Actually quite a few motherboards DO have a serial port, just like most of them have more USB ports than you see on your case ! - They just haven't had the 'header' fitted and plugged up :?

Worthwile checking the specs of your mobo against what you see sockets on the case for.
......................Imagine, what you will KNOW tomorrow !
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

beteljuice wrote:Actually quite a few motherboards DO have a serial port, just like most of them have more USB ports than you see on your case ! - They just haven't had the 'header' fitted and plugged up :?
Mine's one of those - an Asus P5Q Pro. Came with all kinds of connectors, but no header for the serial port. I could do with getting one, really, for testing Cumulus 2, but I don't know if I need a specific type...
Steve
gemini06720

Post by gemini06720 »

beteljuice.

Indeed, I have been looking at different motherboards (I am in the process of getting a new computer) and noticed that about half of the motherboards available on the (North-American) market do not have a serial port output and those motherboards that have a serial port output do not even offer a header/connector...

Steve.

The serial port header is quite generic, usually a rectangular 9-pins plastic connector (to be connected to the serial output on the motherboard) attached to a flat cable and a metal bracket with a male socket (the type with pins and not holes... ;) ) mounted on it. And if you are lucky, there might even be two serial outputs on your motherboard...
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

gemini06720 wrote:The serial port header is quite generic,
From my brief research it appeared that there were at least two types, with different pinouts?
Steve
gemini06720

Post by gemini06720 »

Steve.

Now that you mentioned it, true, there are 2 types of serial port headers, those that meet the proper serial pin arrangement and those that do not...

I have one of the serial port header that do not meet the serial pin arrangement ... completely useless.

But, I also have 2 serial port header that do meet the serial pin arrangement ... quite useful.

I do not know how to differentiate the two kinds ... other than finding out the pin output of the serial connector on your motherboard and testing the pin output on the header.

Not that the wrong pin output will destroy your motherboard but there will be nothing on the serial connector of the header.
philcdav
Weather Station: MyDEL WX2008 Mk2 Fine Offset
Operating System: XP and W7

Post by philcdav »

Hi guy. not sure i'm reading the mail correctly BUT

a simple solution to 'no serial ports' is a USB/serial adapter.

I use these for running all sorts of old hadware on a USB only PC.
cost is lo and you get to plug multiple serial connections rather than 1 or 2 with 'proper' ports.
Phil - G0DOR
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

philcdav wrote:a simple solution to 'no serial ports' is a USB/serial adapter.
This is where we came in :)

The original poster is trying to use such an adapter, then it was pointed out that his mobo may actually have a serial port that isn't connected to the case.
Steve