Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Cumulus MX (Cumulus 3) beta test

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
BCJKiwi
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Cabled
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Re: Cumulus MX (Cumulus 3)

Post by BCJKiwi »

Please add me to your Beta tester list.

System is win7 pro with WAMP (for development) and VP2 with Solar. Data also sent to hosted server for public consumption.
Cumulus and Saratoga websites.

Just upgraded to VP2 and not yet sold my Vue.
So could initially test on a separate win7 pro PC using the Vue, initially on the WAMP then on the hosted server.
Could test both Cumulus and Saratoga websites.
gwheelo
Weather Station: WMR-88
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Post by gwheelo »

Count me in, please. Win 8.1

gwheelo
bruce45
Weather Station: wh1081
Operating System: windows 10

Post by bruce45 »

you can count me in to test on windows 7 and 8.1

could even hook up the old greenhouse unit with the rg11 instead of the normal tip bucket
Nykita
Weather Station: Ambient Weather WS-2080
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by Nykita »

I'll give the Beta testing a try, Windows 7 sp1, Ambient Weather WS-2080 (FO), heck, somebody has to test the cheap weather stations!!! :lol:

Terry
No matter how carefully you choose your words, they'll always end up being twisted by others!
milos.jirik
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by milos.jirik »

Hi Steve,

that's a great news. I would like to test it, I have station Davis Vantage Vue, operating system Windows 7 and alternatively Windows 8.1. Please, add me to your list of testers. Thank you.

Milos
wvdkuil
Weather Station: Davis vp
Operating System: Win 7

Post by wvdkuil »

Very fine to hear of all the ongoing work.As the author of the Leuven-Template I have some small questions.

There are about 180 users of the Leuven-Template of which 28 use Cumulus.
This link http://leuven-template.eu/userlist.php?lang=en is the list of users, as far as I know them.

My questions:
  • 1. Is there a list of affected tags which will change / be disabled / with different content? I can then check the tag files and change them accordingly.
    2. Will there be the same tag-replace and upload procedure, (FTP) or do you plan a http "upload" possibility for realtime like data?
Again, pleas keep up the good work.

Wim
Using Cumulus WeatherDisplay Weatherlink VWS WSWIN using VVP. WeatherCat on a Mac Mini. Meteobrdige/hub and WVIEW
for development of the Leuven-Template. Info at http://leuven-template.eu/index.php
MackerelSky
Weather Station: Davis VP2 w/FARS
Operating System: Toshiba Laptop Windows 7 x64

Post by MackerelSky »

steve wrote:
MackerelSky wrote:Prolly a stupid question Steve, but can MX and the current Cumulus run on the same computer at the same time or will I have to suspend the current version to test the new?
You can't run both at the same time unless you use Virtual VP, but you may or may not have problems using that depending on (I think) the firmware version in your console and perhaps other factors. People already using Virtual VP can probably offer more advice here. I'll give it a try myself when I get chance.
I'll give it a look this weekend and see what it would take.

Brad
Davis VP2/FARS
Cumulus 1.9.4(1092)

McKean Weather
'cause not everyone lives at the airport

john09cw
Weather Station: Maplin N96GY
Operating System: Raspberry Pi/Windows 11

Post by john09cw »

Hey Steve good news about the new version, :clap: ,count me in for testing, I'll be running a Maplin N96GY on a Raspberry PI :
Last edited by john09cw on Sat 27 Dec 2014 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gulfcoast
Weather Station: VP2
Operating System: XP

Post by Gulfcoast »

Count me in from the USA...

Davis Station
Win7
XP
Raspberry Pi
Last edited by Gulfcoast on Sat 27 Dec 2014 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

wvdkuil wrote:Is there a list of affected tags which will change / be disabled / with different content? I can then check the tag files and change them accordingly.
I think that the tags which are currently missing are the individual 'record set' tags such as <#TempRecordSet> etc (because the interface currently has no indicators for new records), and some of the 'system' tags - CpuName, MemoryStatus, DisplayMode, DiskSize and DiskFree. The <#newrecord> tag does work, but works differently, it turns itself off automatically after 24 hours. There's also the issue of the 'format' parameter which I've mentioned previously, but the resulting content will be the same once the parameter is adjusted.
Will there be the same tag-replace and upload procedure, (FTP) or do you plan a http "upload" possibility for realtime like data?
There is the same tag-replace and FTP upload, and in addition interfaces for retrieving data via websocket and HTTP 'Get'. It's possible that I could include HTTP upload of data in the future - presumably you mean something like the WU interface, but generalised?

Edit: Just to be clear, the websocket and HTTP 'get' interfaces are available by connecting directly to the Cumulus engine, and is really intended for the user interface. Not everyone will want to open up firewalls etc to use this on a public web site on a remotely hosted web server. In addition, files of JSON data performing a similar function can be uploaded by FTP (the standard website uses this for the graphs, for example).
Steve
swyman18
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Ubuntu Server 14.04

Post by swyman18 »

I will do some testing with Davis VP2 on Ubuntu Server 14.04.

Thanks!
wvdkuil
Weather Station: Davis vp

Post by wvdkuil »

steve wrote:
wvdkuil wrote:Is there a list of affected tags which will change / be disabled / with different content? I can then check the tag files and change them accordingly.
I think that the tags which are currently missing are the individual 'record set' tags such as <#TempRecordSet> etc (because the interface currently has no indicators for new records), and some of the 'system' tags - CpuName, MemoryStatus, DisplayMode, DiskSize and DiskFree. The <#newrecord> tag does work, but works differently, it turns itself off automatically after 24 hours. There's also the issue of the 'format' parameter which I've mentioned previously, but the resulting content will be the same once the parameter is adjusted.
Will there be the same tag-replace and upload procedure, (FTP) or do you plan a http "upload" possibility for realtime like data?
There is the same tag-replace and FTP upload, and in addition interfaces for retrieving data via websocket and HTTP 'Get'. It's possible that I could include HTTP upload of data in the future - presumably you mean something like the WU interface, but generalised?
The problem with FTP uploads is that an "average' user needs to upload;
1. a tag-file with today and yesterdays data every 5 minutes
2. realtime data every so many seconds to update the ajax dashboard
3. yowindow.xml every 5 minutes
4. maybe also an xml for MW-live
5. The steelseries json file
6. The local Mesonet file
and maybe some more.

This can (and often will) give problems with the provider as to much FTP sessions are seen as DDOS type trafic.

For the latest supported weather-programs (and for all with release 3.0 next year) I moved to two uploads only:
1 tag file for todays and (if available) for yesterdays data which is cached
2. 1 realtime file which is used to update the cached data when a rerquest for data is received.
All other files (ajax, steelseries and so on) are "generated' on the webserver and returned to the requesting browser.

Then the only bottleneck is the uploading of the realtime data.
Multiple providers do not like FTP uploading of a small (few hundred bytes) file 24/7 every 10 seconds.
But they have no problem (as they do not see it) of using a HTTP request with a few hundred bytes of data.

At the moment VWS uses HTTP upload for its WFLASH data.
Meteobridge can use it for all uploads, although FTP is used for the 5 minute uploads as a few thousand bytes is impractical to specify in a HTTP request. I did not even try that.

So consider putting HTTP upload as a general solution as you already do for WU and presumably use a tag file for that also.
The user should specify the website HTTP adress and the tag-file to be uploaded.
I could not find an online description for VWS but for meteobridge:
http://meteobridge.com/wiki/index.php/Push_Services => HTTP Event nearly at the bottom.

Wim
Using Cumulus WeatherDisplay Weatherlink VWS WSWIN using VVP. WeatherCat on a Mac Mini. Meteobrdige/hub and WVIEW
for development of the Leuven-Template. Info at http://leuven-template.eu/index.php
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

I understand what you are saying (and basically FTP is not a great protocol anyway), but most Cumulus users are using the standard html-only web site, and for them the FTP upload method is the simplest solution. I'm only aware of a very few users (out of thousands) who have had issues with their provider over their FTP uploads. But as I said, it's possible that I could add an HTTP upload facility in the future. I have most of the code already anyway.
Steve
Matt.j5b
Weather Station: Davis VP2/ WLL with DFARS
Operating System: RPi Raspbian (Buster)

Post by Matt.j5b »

Great news, well done for the work you have done.

I would be happy to give it a go.

Windows 7 with La Crosse WS2306 with USB adapter.
Regards, Matt of Brisbane, Australia
Ferny Grove Weather
laulau
Weather Station: WeatherDuino Pro2

Post by laulau »

I would be happy to be part of the beta testers.
Oregon Scientific WMR-928 (i hope this station is still supported)
I'm able to share the WMR serial port (it's possible physically because it's only one way)
Raspberry pi and/or Windows (7 or XP)
Last edited by laulau on Sat 27 Dec 2014 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laurent