Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

problem in logfile name after uprgrade from XP to Win 7

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
zetka
Weather Station: wh1080 Solar
Operating System: Windows XP

problem in logfile name after uprgrade from XP to Win 7

Post by zetka »

Hello all,
I like the Cumulus and I am using it with WH1080 from year 2011. So I am having quite lots of datafiles, which I would like to keep. After upgrading to W7, I want to be able to use this data and display them inclusive graphs too.
The main problem after solving some typical Cumulus crashes due to the numeric format (comma versus dot as decimal separator), which are here discussed on forum (We use dot as decimal separator in the Czech republic) I found, that although that the logfiles are ok from that point of view after setting the separator in the same way as I had in XP before, the Cumulus with Windows7 decided to use another name for the logfile, which contains the loaded entries from the weather station.
In XP, the month logfile in the data subdirectory was named in form of Roman numbers for month, than year ( two latin numbers) and finaly a letters log and suffix .txt, so for example Data for November 2014 were stored in file XI14log.txt . What a surprice, that after new instalation of Cumulus 1.9.4 on Windows7 it stores December data into 1214log.txt . The older data are not reachable in the graphs. The only way how to get back to the old data in the graphs is to rename them and in place of roman (or romanic) letters for month names replace them manually with latin, so for example change the November for 1114log.txt and so on.
I have played with that few hours, but I was not able to find any other solution than this above described to get to those data.
I was not able to find, why this happen and how to make this more elegant and I would be gratefull, if somebody explains me an easier way, or maybe this could help somebody to find, where is the reason of the problem.

Regards,
Zetka,
Prague, Czech Rep.
My Diag file is attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: problem in logfile name after uprgrade from XP to Win 7

Post by steve »

Cumulus names the log files using the Windows 'short month name' plus the two-digit year plus 'log.txt'. The 'short month name' is set by Windows according to the system locale; it's described here - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... _Specifier

I would expect that any two Windows systems with the same locale setting would have the same set of short month names. Are you using the same locale in Windows 7 as you were using in XP? Googling suggests that the correct short month names for the Czech Republic are the roman numerals, eg XII for December, which is what XP was giving you, so perhaps you are not using the correct (same) setting in Windows 7.

If you are using the same locale, but for some reason Windows is using a different set of short month names, then the only solution I can think of would be to rename the files.
Steve
zetka

Post by zetka »

Hello Steve,
thanks for the fast reply. I do not know the reason, but I am convinced, that the Roman letters are not prefered in our date format. In case of setting in W7, all of available possibilities show month in latin, the date is the first (dd), month second and year (rrr -in Czech rok) as last.
Attached there are standard possible setting in w7 in W7 localized to Czech language.
Renaming the files solved my problem.
Regards,
Vojtech.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

The 'short month name' setting is MMM as in that link I posted, so that's not being shown on your screen shot. It is not normally part of the standard date settings, it is just used for 'abbreviated' names. If I set my Windows to Czech settings, and then go into 'additional settings' so that I can choose MMM and see what would be displayed for that, it shows me the roman numerals, which I believe is in fact correct for your region for abbreviated month names:
2014-12-21 13_08_28-Customise Format.png
This document says that roman numerals are used in Czech for abbreviated month names only (which is what Cumulus is using in this case) and not as part of a long or short date format.
Steve
zetka

Post by zetka »

I can not confirm your statement. In standard setting the MMM is not present nor used here, even if I set it manually in the extended setting, i still get latin numbers. Attached is the picture from the setting. I am still getting only latin numbers for month description.
For controll, I have added on of the last diags still upon the Czech XPs . Maybe this can help you.
Regards,
Vojtech.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

It was actually Windows 8.1 that I tried it on; I mistakenly assumed that Windows 7 was the same (most things are). I've just tried it on Windows 7 and I get the same as you. But either way, there is nothing I can do about this, Cumulus just uses what Windows tells it to use.

I forgot to include the link to the document that I was referring to in my previous post - you can download it here by selecting 'Czech' in the dropdown box - http://www.microsoft.com/language/en-us ... uides.aspx
Steve
zetka

Post by zetka »

Do not worry, the problem was solved, I think that the most important is to be able to find such information and be able to correct it.
Thanks again for your support and a nice and usefull program for Weather Stations indeed.
Best regards and happy Christmas from Prague,
Vojtech.