Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Odd, "station not reporting" error message...

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
Intheswamp
Weather Station: Davis VP2+
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Odd, "station not reporting" error message...

Post by Intheswamp »

I walked through this afternoon and spotted a screen up on the Cumulus station's laptop. It's probably been a month or two since I had been on the laptop so I walked over and the error light was blinking. Seems it was giving me a "station not reporting". I caught it about 10 minutes after the first error. Naturally, panic hits. Deer in the headlight look. :shock: The whole nine yards...

I looked at the console and all looked well there. Connections looked ok. Seriously, Cumulus runs so smoothly, that I hadn't even messed with this computer in so long that I actually forgot how long it's been. ;) Well, it said to check all my connections so I walk out to the ISS and check all the connections and roll the battery in it's holder (make sure it's got good contact). When I come back in the error is still persisting.

I then used all of my enormous computer knowlege and did the only thing that could possibly help...I rebooted the computer. :P Well, that didn't go smoothly. The small window that comes up and says "Cumulus is shutting down. This make take several minutes." (or at least something to that effect)...came up. But, it just stayed there hung. I finally closed the window through task manager (I think).

It then rebooted and all is right with http://www.beeweather.com again. :) The only thing I can think up (using all that enormous computer knowlege of mine!<grin>) is that some buffers somewhere (maybe for USB?) got full or something from being up and running for so long without a restart or reboot.

Anyhow, just thought I'd mention this and see if anybody had some feedback.

Ed
Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4 Build 1079
WU - KALRUTLE2 // PWS - BEEWEATHER // CWOP - EW2927 // Weather-Cam
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Odd, "station not reporting" error message...

Post by steve »

The "station not responding" message occurs when Cumulus has not been able to read any data from the console for over a minute. It does sound like some kind of USB issue in this case, the fact that you had to kill the process suggests that Cumulus had called the Davis DLL to ask for data, but the DLL did not return, so the thread was stuck inside the DLL.

Note that personally I would never deliberately reboot while Cumulus was running, I would always close it down first, just to be sure it had closed down properly. In this case you would almost certainly still have had to kill it, so it didn't actually matter anyway.
Steve
Intheswamp
Weather Station: Davis VP2+
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Re: Odd, "station not reporting" error message...

Post by Intheswamp »

Yelp, rebooting without shutting down Cumulus first I would think is not good. I haven't looked but hopefully my data isn't mussed up to bad. I tried shutting down Cumulus through Start Watch but once it got to the "...this may take several minutes" screen on Cumulus it just hang for a period of time I felt was excessive. I tentatively clicked the "X" in the upper right corner and the windows "program is not responding" window came up. :( At least once it rebooted the system came back up and start reporting again. :)

Steve, you need to let me help you with your programming. That way there would be some bugs in the program that would cause users to have to go into the software to fix it and thus stay familiar with it's workings. As it is, it is so blasted reliable that I simply never go into the program...get it running and it just keeps running like Voyager 2...well beyond expectations!!! ;)

Great program, Steve!!!
Ed
Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4 Build 1079
WU - KALRUTLE2 // PWS - BEEWEATHER // CWOP - EW2927 // Weather-Cam