Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Cumulus behaviour with data input appears to have stopped

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
DigbyDave
Weather Station: Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: XP SP3

Cumulus behaviour with data input appears to have stopped

Post by DigbyDave »

Hi Steve,
A few times I have been in the situation where Virtual VP has locked up the port that Cumulus is connected to and results in a "Data input appears to have stopped" error. While the lockup issue is beyond your control, is there a setting in Cumulus to stop uploading to WU, PWS, WOW etc once that state has been entered? Usually once I realise that this has happened I close down Cumulus set the today.ini date back to the last good record, remove the bad data from the monthly files and allow Cumulus to re-download from Virtual VP, this fixes the local data, but results in duplicate records at the various upload sites. If on the other hand upload is stopped at the time of detecting the error, catch up fills in the missing data without duplication. I feel that no data is better than bad data.
Cheers
Dave

Braitling, NT, Australia
INTBRAIT2
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Cumulus behaviour with data input appears to have stoppe

Post by steve »

No, there isn't such a setting, but it's on the long term to-do list. There is a setting to restart when data stops, which is a way of achieving something close. If the restart doesn't clear the problem (unlikely in most cases) then Cumulus will be unable to connect, and will hence stop logging and uploading to the internet.
Steve
DigbyDave
Weather Station: Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: XP SP3

Re: Cumulus behaviour with data input appears to have stoppe

Post by DigbyDave »

Thanks Steve, I will investigate the restart option. That will prob. do for now as it does't happen that often, but yeah, once a Virtual VP port locks up it is unlikely that just a reconnect would do anything useful.
Thanks again.
Dave

Braitling, NT, Australia
INTBRAIT2
empezza
Weather Station: Oregon WMR200, CumulusMX v3 3036
Operating System: Windows 10 32-bit PC On A Stick

Re: Cumulus behaviour with data input appears to have stopped

Post by empezza »

Unread post by steve » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:32 pm
No, there isn't such a setting, but it's on the long term to-do list. There is a setting to restart when data stops, which is a way of achieving something close. If the restart doesn't clear the problem (unlikely in most cases) then Cumulus will be unable to connect, and will hence stop logging and uploading to the internet.
Can you please explain where the setting is to restart when data stops? I can't find it.
I am running 3041 with a WMR200 station. I just transferred CumulusMX to a new "old" laptop and updated to 3041. Periodically data from the WMR200 stops being received.

EDIT:
Ooops - just realised that this thread is for Cumulus 1 not MX. Is there a similar option in MX?
BigOkie
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus
Operating System: Raspian Buster (RPi 3b)

Post by BigOkie »

In a word or two? No.
NeilThomas
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Raspberry Pi 4

Post by NeilThomas »

empezza wrote:
Unread post by steve » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:32 pm
Can you please explain where the setting is to restart when data stops? I can't find it.
I am running 3041 with a WMR200 station. I just transferred CumulusMX to a new "old" laptop and updated to 3041. Periodically data from the WMR200 stops being received.

EDIT:
Ooops - just realised that this thread is for Cumulus 1 not MX. Is there a similar option in MX?
Hi all

I have been running MX and an WMR200 and am having similar issues. The temperature and humidity data stops coming from the console and freezes at the last known value. I switched back to Cumulus 1.9.4 and the data immediately starts flowing again. Steve did investigate this earlier this year and build 3041 should have corrected it but it obviously hasn't as it has now happened three in the last 18 days. However, I also had the temperature sensor fail on me (after 3 years) and am wondering if this is an issue with the WMR200.

Any of you Davis users out there have any issues like this with MX? I like the MX system and want to use it but if it doesn't work reliably with the Oregon stations, I will need to save the pennies for a Davis station.

I am running on a Windows 10 PC.
Neil Thomas
website: oaktreewebs.co.uk | Davis Vantage Pro II | CumulusMX, Raspberry Pi 4 | MX V4 build 4019
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

I don't want to put you off buying a Davis, but if my fix didn't correct the problem (I have no way of testing with Oregon stations, and I don't remember the issue off the top of my head anyway), then perhaps you could post in the same MX thread again with the diags files (with all logging turned on), and I can investigate further. There's no particular reason why MX shouldn't work as well with Oregon stations as Cumulus 1 does. Perhaps this is a different problem to the one previously reported and perhaps fixed.
Steve
NeilThomas
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Raspberry Pi 4

Post by NeilThomas »

steve wrote:I don't want to put you off buying a Davis, but if my fix didn't correct the problem (I have no way of testing with Oregon stations, and I don't remember the issue off the top of my head anyway), then perhaps you could post in the same MX thread again with the diags files (with all logging turned on), and I can investigate further. There's no particular reason why MX shouldn't work as well with Oregon stations as Cumulus 1 does. Perhaps this is a different problem to the one previously reported and perhaps fixed.
Steve

This is why I think the problem is probably my Oregon station and not Cumulus. However, having purchased several Oregon stations since 2013 and having found them very temperamental at best compared to my WS2300 from Technoline, which has functioned flawlessly since 2008, I am reluctant to spend more money on an Oregon solution. I want to include at least UV readings - it was why I upgraded in the first place, but the only viable solution to that seems to be the Davis Vantage Pro2. This being a lot of money, I would love to know other peoples views on them. I have more or less accepted that my data for October and probably November is lost and am reconciled to starting over with a completely new system. (You would be welcome to have my Oregon station when I update!)
Neil Thomas
website: oaktreewebs.co.uk | Davis Vantage Pro II | CumulusMX, Raspberry Pi 4 | MX V4 build 4019
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

it was why I upgraded in the first place, but the only viable solution to that seems to be the Davis Vantage Pro2. This being a lot of money, I would love to know other peoples views on them.
You won't go wrong with a Davis, but there is a cost to it as the datalogger also needs to be bought.

My Davis VP2 now in its 9th year and the only think I have done is replace the ISS battery once. Correction, I've had to clean out debris out of the rain gauge numerous times and the little screen has flows away ;)

Good luck and enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm