Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Issue with windows timesync and "restart if data stops"

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
SamiS
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551 & GW1100
Operating System: Raspberry Pi OS

Issue with windows timesync and "restart if data stops"

Post by SamiS »

I just noticed a minor issue with windows os automatic clock adjustment and "restart if data stops" -setting on cumulus. For some reason my pc clock had drifted so much forward, that windows adjusted it 10 seconds backwards. Bad luck was that the adjustment happened at 1:00:02, and rolled back to 0:59:52. This caused cumulus to think that it did not receive any new data at 1:00 and caused it to restart even while it already had received the "missing" data.

Diags folder attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Issue with windows timesync and "restart if data stops"

Post by steve »

Yes, Mark Crossley spotted this recently - https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11858
Steve
SamiS

Post by SamiS »

Ok, thanks for a quick answer. I just recently switched from XP to 7 and had not noticed that win7 has a scheduled event of running timesync, but that definitely can cause issues. Maybe this could be worth mentioning on the readme? I think it is likely that this starts to raise questions more now when people are replacing XP:s with newer OSes.

PS. I'm not a real programmer, but depending on the structure of a program, shouldn't it be quite easy to "log" time when data was last read, and if clock jumps backwards while running, then do not trigger data missing until clock has gone over the "logged" time. Of course this depends on the internal structure of the code whether it is easy or not.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

It always makes me laugh when people tell me "it should be easy" ;)

I'll see what I can do.

P.S. Your suggested algorithm is flawed, which kind of proves my point ;)
Steve
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

Alternatively do as I did. Go to the Task Scheduler (Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Task Scheduler, expand out the Task Scheduler Library, expand out Microsoft, expand out Windows, double click on Time Synchronization, right click on the Synchronization task in the top middle pane to Open a Window for editing, select the Triggers tab and change Weekly to Daily and select your time (I would suggest say 01.50.00 to stop it rolling back past an hour) and then OK your way out.

It is most unlikely that a daily update is going to allow the computer time to drift to more than a couple of seconds, whereas a weekly scheduler only means the clock has to vary by 1.45 seconds a day to exceed a 10 second change.
David
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Build 1094 should fix.
Steve
SamiS

Post by SamiS »

steve wrote:It always makes me laugh when people tell me "it should be easy" ;)

I'll see what I can do.

P.S. Your suggested algorithm is flawed, which kind of proves my point ;)
Glad to make someone happy. :lol: But since you managed to publish a fixed version in less than 7 hours that kind of proves my point also. ;)

Anyway, thank you once again. :clap: