Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Installing v.1.8.1 over previous versions

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
gwheelo
Weather Station: WMR-88
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Installing v.1.8.1 over previous versions

Post by gwheelo »

To save time is it possible to install v.1.8.1 to another partition and then just copy over the .exe to accomplish the update. Or - do I need other support files as well. I am currently running v. 1.7.14.199.

Bummer - about your computer - you shouldn't beat on so much!

GW

http://www.wheelocknet.net/cam/index.htm
(now with live video webcam)
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Installing v.1.8.1 over previous versions

Post by steve »

I think you'd probably be OK doing that. You'll need to create a new folder called Diags, for the new startup diagnostic logs; and some (all?) of the supplied web pages have had minor changes to them. And the help file has changed.
Steve
gwheelo

Post by gwheelo »

After creating Diags folder I replaced v.1.7.14.199 with v.1.8.1. Upon start Cumulus reported four errors. I have attached the bug file for the first - do you require all four.

After dismissing the four errors Cumulous started collecting and displaying data. Uploads, however, never occurred.

GW
broadstairs
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1003/GW1103/GW2000
Operating System: Windows 7 and Linux

Post by broadstairs »

I'm having a problem understanding why you dont want to overwrite the installation with each new upgrade? So far I have simply run the installer and replaced everything over the existing install and it has given me no problems at all. The only reason I can think of is that you have modified the standard web pages, which in my view is not a good idea. However I could well have missed something.....

Stuart
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I was wondering that too, Stuart, but whatever...

It's possible there's something I hadn't thought of which prevents you doing it this way, it's a bit difficult for me to say at the moment with a dead computer.

You don't seem to have attached the bug report?
Steve
Paul C
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with solar
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by Paul C »

I have just uploaded the new version and appears to work fine. Do I have to do anything else ? - are there any extra files/charts that need uploading to my website ?

I do appear to have a slight problem with my records page http://www.bramptonweather.co.uk/cumulus/record.htm it has huge values for May2008 which are incorrect - not sure where these have come from but can soon alter them. Will leave them as there are just for now
Paul C
Brampton, Cumbria, UK
117m ASL
http://www.bramptonweather.co.uk
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Paul - you don't need to do anything special if you're installing over an old version.

It looks like you have a bogus figure for total rainfall for May 31st. If you edit dayfile.txt and look for that day you should be able to correct it, and it should disappear after a restart.
Steve
Paul C
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with solar
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by Paul C »

Noted - sorted that out now.

Query on the Configuration/Station Settings/ Yearly Rainfall

Is this section just for new users ? - I added in my running total for this year from my stand alone Met Office Gauge and it just added it to the VP2 total, ended up with 1400mm which was quite exciting for a moment. I take it this isnt an area where you can make daily/monthly corrections. I have tried to alter the daily txt files in the past but this proved a hard task on a daily/monthly basis.
Paul C
Brampton, Cumbria, UK
117m ASL
http://www.bramptonweather.co.uk
gwheelo

Post by gwheelo »

My attempt to merely replace the Cumulus .exe file as an upgrade path was out of pure laziness. I will, henceforth, do a full install and copy back in the appropriate modified htm files.

Sorry for taking up everyones time with my shortcuts.

Oh, by the way, I was quite certain I had uploaded the bug file with my original Post.

GW
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Paul C wrote:Is this section just for new users ? - I added in my running total for this year from my stand alone Met Office Gauge and it just added it to the VP2 total, ended up with 1400mm which was quite exciting for a moment. I take it this isnt an area where you can make daily/monthly corrections. I have tried to alter the daily txt files in the past but this proved a hard task on a daily/monthly basis.
Yes, it's intended for people who start using Cumulus part-way through the year, so they can add it their total so far if they know it.

Hopefully there will in future be a better way of doing daily and monthly corrections!
Steve
gwheelo

Post by gwheelo »

OK - I must be doing something wrong. Performed a normal install of v.1.8.1 over older version and experience the same startup errors mentioned in earlier message. In fact - on start-up - I experience rather strange behavior. Each time I start Cumulus I get varying number of errors. Each time I dismiss the errors and continue I eventually get an error free Cumulus performing perfectly. For instance upon start-up I dismiss one error, the next time I start Cumulus I receive three errors, and the next time two, errors. Random numbers. Perhaps Cumulus is looking for something and doesn't always find it before a time-out. I have been trying to attach bug reports to this message but I keep getting a message that "The extension txt is not allowed." Again, I an certain I am doing something wrong. Perhaps someone will clue me in. I have posted the opening of a typical bug report below.

GW

date/time : 2008-10-08, 22:39:43, 663ms
computer name : SERVER
wts client name : SANTACLARA-PC
user name : Administrator <admin>
registered owner : Windows Home Server User / Family
operating system : Windows 2003 Service Pack 2 build 3790
system language : English
system up time : 2 days 12 hours
program up time : 841 milliseconds
processor : Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.40GHz
physical memory : 797/1503 MB (free/total)
free disk space : (C:) 3.69 GB
display mode : 1440x900, 24 bit
process id : $638
allocated memory : 13.43 MB
executable : cumulus.exe
exec. date/time : 2008-10-04 17:46
version : 1.8.1.415
compiled with : Delphi 2006/07
contact name : George Wheelock
contact email : wheelocknet@yahoo.com
madExcept version : 3.0h
callstack crc : $220f77d2, $07c980f6, $5c0bc303
exception number : 1
exception class : EAccessViolation
exception message : Access violation at address 006C3A1B in module 'cumulus.exe'. Read of address 00000360.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I'll need a bit more of it than that - not that I can do anything about it at the moment with my dead PC.

I'll try to find the forum settings that are stopping .txt attachments.

Steve
Steve
gwheelo

Post by gwheelo »

Understood - re. computer. Let me know when the .txt situation is resolved or if I am able to upload in a different format, ie. wri, doc, etc.

In the meantime Cumulus v1.8.1. appears to be performing perfectly once the errors are dismissed. It is just that I am unable to run it as a process as I was able for the earlier version.

GW
TNETWeather

Post by TNETWeather »

gwheelo wrote:Let me know when the .txt situation is resolved or if I am able to upload in a different format, ie. wri, doc, etc.
I'm curious what you mean by different format?
gwheelo

Post by gwheelo »

I just thought if the forum was having difficulty accepting a .txt file I might copy the bug report data to a Word document and upload iot in a different file format.

GW