Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Identifying where you live

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Identifying where you live

Post by RayProudfoot »

Whilst most people show their home town, county and country in their Cumulus Location there are a few that use latitude / longitude instead. I'm wondering why?

I suppose you could be famous so keeping your location obscure could be considered a good reason. ;) But if you're not why not let the rest of us know where you live? When talking about the weather it's quite important for readers to know where you live. Although I could probably work out where 135E, 35S is it's a lot more work than just reading a place name.

If you're concerned someone reading these pages might take a fancy to your weather kit I don't honestly think you need worry. Mine has remained intact for nearly 5 years and you can see my house on Google Street View via my website.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

beteljuice
Weather Station: None !
Operating System: W10 - Threadripper 16core, etc

Re: Identifying where you live

Post by beteljuice »

Interestingly, some of those people then go to great lengths to 'define' their lat / long to 10m.
Rather defeats any anonymity :lol:
......................Imagine, what you will KNOW tomorrow !
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

Very good point beteljuice! :roll:
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

tumutbound
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Linux, Raspberry Pi (Wheezy)

Post by tumutbound »

I agree. I put both location and latitude/longitude on my website. I can't see the point of a weatherstation if you don't know where it is. The lat/long is included as my town is fairly obscure without me doing anything to hide it.
I also add lat/long to the website images via exiftool for no real reason other than I can plusthe camera needs something to keep it busy for the 80% of the time it's not actually taking pictures..
My weather
CumulusMX (3036)
Raspberry Pi: Wheezy
FineOffset WH1081
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

tumutbound wrote:I agree. I put both location and latitude/longitude on my website. I can't see the point of a weatherstation if you don't know where it is. The lat/long is included as my town is fairly obscure without me doing anything to hide it.
I didn't mean your website. I meant the Location in your profile. That still shows a lat/lon. Port Huon, Tasmania would be far more meaningful.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

tumutbound

Post by tumutbound »

RayProudfoot wrote: I didn't mean your website. I meant the Location in your profile. That still shows a lat/lon. Port Huon, Tasmania would be far more meaningful.
Aha! Now I get it! I must stop responding to posts until I've had my morning coffee.
I'm not sure why I had lat/long in my profile instead of location. It was probably from my previous home in suburban Sydney where a name wouldn't have meant much (not that Port Huon means a whole lot more)
My weather
CumulusMX (3036)
FineOffset WH1081
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

Hope you enjoy your coffee! Does French's Forest means anything to you? I lived there as a kid 1963-64 when my parents emigrated as "Ten Quid Poms" in 1962. Came back to Blighty in '64. Lovely part of the world! :)
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

mermaidbeachweather
Weather Station: Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by mermaidbeachweather »

RayProudfoot wrote:Hope you enjoy your coffee! Does French's Forest means anything to you? I lived there as a kid 1963-64 when my parents emigrated as "Ten Quid Poms" in 1962. Came back to Blighty in '64. Lovely part of the world! :)
Hi Ray,

Love your weather site very impressive, however I didn't see an Australian flag in your time zone banner. LOL
Cheers

Brian
Mermaid Beach Weather
tumutbound

Post by tumutbound »

RayProudfoot wrote:Hope you enjoy your coffee! Does French's Forest means anything to you? I lived there as a kid 1963-64 when my parents emigrated as "Ten Quid Poms" in 1962. Came back to Blighty in '64. Lovely part of the world! :)
I used to work at Frenchs Forest in the 1990's (for Honeywell-Bull). Back in the 1960s it would have been fairly out of the way and not a first choice for living in Sydney. Now it's all $1M homes.
More of a coincidence, I'm also a ten quid pom arriving here with my family in 1960. I was born just up the road from you in Altrincham.
My weather
CumulusMX (3036)
FineOffset WH1081
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

mermaidbeachweather wrote:Love your weather site very impressive, however I didn't see an Australian flag in your time zone banner. LOL
Thanks. Bits added over time but I still want to add more. Had I stayed in Oz I'd be talking with a strange accent now. ;) Only stayed 2 years and I was 13 on the cruise home. But I have a soft spot for Aussies except when cricket is played. ;)
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

tumutbound wrote:I used to work at Frenchs Forest in the 1990's (for Honeywell-Bull). Back in the 1960s it would have been fairly out of the way and not a first choice for living in Sydney. Now it's all $1M homes.
Iris Street was partly tarmaced but pavements were not. Is the radar station still there on top of a hill?
More of a coincidence, I'm also a ten quid pom arriving here with my family in 1960. I was born just up the road from you in Altrincham.
Tiny world! :o You obviously love it. My dad couldn't cope with the humidity which is why we came home. I loved it. Many a day spent on Manly beach. :D
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

tumutbound

Post by tumutbound »

RayProudfoot wrote: Tiny world! :o You obviously love it. My dad couldn't cope with the humidity which is why we came home. I loved it. Many a day spent on Manly beach. :D
I've lived in most of Australia and the worst humidity wise was Sydney.
If you'd lived in the West or Tasmania, you might still be here!
My weather
CumulusMX (3036)
FineOffset WH1081
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

Because we got to oz by ship we docked at Freemantle, Adelaide and Melbourne before Sydney. Even as a kid I thought Perth and the Swan river looked wonderful. I suppose Dad picked Sydney as the best for work oportunities. If only we'd had t'internet for research!

My poor mum, bless her, cooked a British Christmas dinner in 1963 when it was 98F (37C). :shock:
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

hills
Weather Station: Fine Offset WH1091
Operating System: Raspbian Buster

Post by hills »

RayProudfoot wrote:

My poor mum, bless her, cooked a British Christmas dinner in 1963 when it was 98F (37C). :shock:
haha :lol: as opposed to us Ozzies who stand out in that 37C heat next to an even hotter BBQ and cook it there relying on nothing more than a cold beer to keep us comfortable! ;)
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

hills wrote:haha :lol: as opposed to us Ozzies who stand out in that 37C heat next to an even hotter BBQ and cook it there relying on nothing more than a cold beer to keep us comfortable! ;)
If it carries on warming up down under you won't need that BBQ to cook food. ;) A good excuse for another tinnie! :D
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.