Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

#RecentWindSpeed #RecentWindGust and #RecentWindLatest

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
nossis
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: Win 10

#RecentWindSpeed #RecentWindGust and #RecentWindLatest

Post by nossis »

Hi There,

I think there is an issue with the webtags of #RecentWindSpeed #RecentWindGust and #RecentWindLatest, they yield unexpected values.
Check my current observations page (http://members.iinet.net.au/~nossis/weather/observe.htm) that uses the webtags of #RecentWindSpeed and #RecentWindGust
I have in my source web file, a conversion from knot to km/h (via some java script) but the knot values are supplied out of cumulus as they are. (that is no recalculation in the html/java side of things)
It appears that the wind speed values are sometimes higher than the wind gust values. I would of thought that the gust values should always be higher.

As I was just about to post I then saw the web tag #RecentWindLatest. I though Ah ha, this is what i need! This however produces what appears to be the same values as #RecentWindGust
Check my test page (http://members.iinet.net.au/~nossis/weather/obs.htm) to see the wind values are the same.

As I think about it... I can see a reason that the wind speed may be higher than the gust, if the wind speed is more of an average over a period of time and the gust was just one specific. Although still would of thought the gust should be higher.

It appears there is a definite issue with the #RecentWindLatest #RecentWindGust as they appeared to yield the same result.

Now there is always the possibility that it is just me.

Thanks for any help or pointing out obvious mistakes on my part (source files attached)
Barry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: #RecentWindSpeed #RecentWindGust and #RecentWindLatest

Post by steve »

With Davis stations 'latest' and 'gust' are actually the same, as they only supply the 'latest' figure - the average over the last 2.5 seconds. The average is calculated from 10 minutes worth of those values, so latest and gust can be higher or lower than the average at any given moment.

I guess that what the <#RecentWindGust> tag should really be supplying is the 'recent max gust' value that Cumulus calculates, i.e. the highest of the latest/gust figures over the last 10 minutes; that would be more useful, as it's more of a true gust figure (which is why it exists in the first place). I'll change it to do that.
Steve
nossis

Post by nossis »

Hi Steve,

Ah I see, makes sense... If it is possible to make the change that would be just dandy!
Thanks a million for you continued sensational efforts at keeping us all happy chappies. :D
No rush on it... I am not stressing about it...

Barry
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

I've uploaded 1.9.4 build 1088 with this change.
Steve
nossis

Post by nossis »

Hi Steve,

Ah magic :D :D :D :D
Just installed and works beautifully
A thousand thank you's

Barry
mikkimii