Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Windows 8.1 & WS2300 weather station

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
AndyH
Weather Station: La Crosse 2350
Operating System: Windows 8

Windows 8.1 & WS2300 weather station

Post by AndyH »

Hi all,

Just posting this problem to see whether anyone else has experienced it.

Was running Cumulus on Windows Vista without any problems until motherboard fried and bought a new PC with windows 8.1 installed. Bought a new serial card for the PC and plugged that in and all working fine with Cumulus version 1.9.4 build 1085.

However, every now again I get the following problem:

1) Cumulus appears to be working fine, with internet updates to my website working fine and the clock still ticking in the top right hand corner of Cumulus
2) Then I notice the last update time in the bottom right hand corner and see that this has stopped some hours ago and the readings are staying the same - so the outside temperature graph for example has one long flat line as it thinks the temperature hasn't changed
3) When I try and shut down Cumulus it hangs and a re-boot is required to start Cumulus again

Now, I think the problem is with the serial card reading from the weather station rather than Cumulus itself but any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated. I have tried running Cumulus in compatibility mode within Windows 8 going back to Windows 7 and Vista but the same problem occurs.

Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Windows 8.1 & WS2300 weather station

Post by steve »

It's probably having trouble reading data from the station/serial port. If you turn on the debug log, it will show what's going on, but that won't help solve the problem.
Steve
AndyH
Weather Station: La Crosse 2350
Operating System: Windows 8

Re: Windows 8.1 & WS2300 weather station

Post by AndyH »

Hi Steve and thank you for your posting. You're also right in that the de-bug didn't really tell me anything I didn't already know. After trying lots of things I may now have solved it by simply moving the serial card from one slot to another one. Been running without the problem for 12+ hour stints so fingers crossed........ :D