Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

<#wgust> bearing ==> direction (compass) help!!!

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
nikokara
Weather Station: OlympData Offset
Operating System: Winxp

<#wgust> bearing ==> direction (compass) help!!!

Post by nikokara »

Hi

Steve has not the time for the ticket #97 for Enhancement requests
<#wgust> bearing & direction (compass) WEBTAGS since 05 Jan 2011, 14:29
https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/tracker.php?p=1&t=97

Can please anyone help me to do it with javascript? for my webpages??

Thank you
SpaceWalker
Weather Station: Davis Vantage
Operating System: Windows XP

Re: <#wgust> bearing ==> direction (compass) help!!!

Post by SpaceWalker »

Think for a moment - how can the direction of the wind gust (both in decimal degrees and in compass points) be displayed if there is no tag containing that data (I just checked the list of available tags) - where should that information be coming from - is the direction of the wind gust even captured by the weather station?

If the direction of the wind gust is not provided by Cumulus, it is my understanding that neither a JavaScript nor a PHP script would be able to display data that does not exist!

Or am I missing some information...
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

SpaceWalker is correct on both points. And until the lazy Cumulus author gets around to writing the code to provide the bearing at the the time of the <#wgust> value, there's no easy way to do this, and even then the station (in the case of Fine Offset) doesn't actually provide the required information to do it properly.

The web tag <#wspddata> contains the last 3600 readings from the station (the 'gust' value in the case of Fine Offset stations), and <#wdirdata> contains the bearing at the time of the reading, so you could use those somehow, but it's a bit messy. And the bearing isn't actually the bearing at the time of the gust, the station doesn't provide that.
Steve
nikokara

Post by nikokara »

In the Cumulus main window i see in the recent extremes for today's HIGH GUST 4,1 m/s at 12:30 and BEARING for this 135 SE
for yesterdays HIGH GUST 6,5 m/s at 09:32 BEARING 270 W. or is the Bearing not for the High Gust?

2013-11-17_140920.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by nikokara on Sun 17 Nov 2013 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

It's the current bearing reported by the station in the same reading that the high gust was reported. It's not necessarily the direction that the wind vane was pointing at exactly the same time as the high gust, because as I said, Fine Offset stations don't supply that information, they only ever supply the current bearing.
Steve
nikokara

Post by nikokara »

Ok Steve Thanks. I understand now.

But how to translate the wind - gust - high wind or any "wind" from 270 grad to compass values ( NE -SE -N - WNW etc)
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

In JavaScript? A quick search on the forum found this thread: https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1214
Steve