Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Running Cumulus on an SSD

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
DaveNZ
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit

Running Cumulus on an SSD

Post by DaveNZ »

Hi, is anyone else running Cumulus on an SSD (solid state drive)? I installed on an SSD.I am aware of the limited number of writes. Cumulus (and Weather display as well, via VirtualVP) constantly saves files every 1 minute so it's not ideal I guess, especially with the log files around the 5MB size over 1 month. But based on my data-write rate it still looks like my drive should last a fair while (see image)

I do have an HDD with heaps of spare space, but I don't like the little noises it makes when being used a lot... especially when the computer is in my bedroom and runs day and night.
SSDLife.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: Running Cumulus on an SSD

Post by mcrossley »

I don't have one myself but I know quite a few people are using net books which are normally ssd based. I did try a cheap Chinese sourced ssd - bad move it failed after 2 weeks.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

My main PC now has an SSD; I don't run Cumulus on this for extended periods, but my PC does get heavy use every day. When considering an SDD I read a number of articles on the web, including this one, from a reliable source - http://www.anandtech.com/show/6459/sams ... f-tlc-nand - and came to the conclusion that it wasn't anything to worry about with a modern SSD compared to a mechanical drive. It does depend on the drive (and its capacity) to a certain extent; my drive is a 1TB 840 EVO, and it has an estimated lifespan of about 31 years if I write 100GB per day.

It's a good idea to use the following settings with an SSD:
  • Drive indexing disabled. (useless for SSD anyway, because access times are so low).
  • Prefetch disabled.
  • Superfetch disabled
  • Defrag disabled.
I've also seen it recommended that you should disable Hibernation and (if you have lots of RAM - I have 16GB) the page file.
Steve
DaveNZ
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit

Post by DaveNZ »

1TB SSD must have set you back a few $$ Steve! I've been thinking about adding a second smaller SSD to my system, maybe a 128GB Samsung 840 Pro.
Super-T
Weather Station: wh-1081
Operating System: Weather Laptop - Windows 10 Pro

Post by Super-T »

Dave. Better to go at least 256GB. I've put a few in customers, and my computers, and the performance increase is huge.
david3
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Debian 12 64bit for rpi

Post by david3 »

I run Cumulus on my main pc with an Intel SSD. No problems so far for the few years I've had it, and I don't worry about the write cycles.
BigOkie
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus
Operating System: Raspian Buster (RPi 3b)

Post by BigOkie »

This is all good to hear, as I'm about two days from building my new weather PC and it will have a SSD. I do have some extra SATAIII HDs laying around should I need them, but I've been spoiled by boot times with the solid states. :D