Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Cumulus program has stopped working (Windows 7 PC)

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
odintheterrible
Weather Station: Brandson 304577 & GW1000
Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit

Cumulus program has stopped working (Windows 7 PC)

Post by odintheterrible »

Greetings one and all,

Don't know if anyone can help but I seem to have developed a serious 'issue' with running Cumulus (last stable version available) on my Windows 7 (64bit) PC.

In short, when I open the program, it simple freezes and the little red error icon glows. Then it simple defies all attempts to close the window: the only course of action left is to close it via the Task Manager function (Ctrl + Alt + Del) which does actually close the program.

If I try and restart, then the same happens. I've tried downloading the program again and reinstalling but it makes no difference ... same result.

Anyone else suffering this or have an idea as to what's going on ????? Any input appreciated.

Thanks

"Qui Custodit Ipsos Custodes ? ..."

Duct Tape is like 'The Force' ... it has a 'Light Side' AND a 'Dark Side' and it binds the Universe together !
bruce45
Weather Station: wh1081
Operating System: windows 10

Re: Cumulus program has stopped working (Windows 7 PC)

Post by bruce45 »

check in device manager that the base station is been seen as a human interface device by unplugging a the usb cable and then reconnecting. you might hear the relay click as you plug the usb cable in but that really only indicates that power is getting to the unit and windows may not be seeing it for data. could be a faulty cable or usb port or the base station has given up.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

See the FAQ: http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/FAQ#Cumulu ... to_kill_it

The terse 'no response' message is telling you that your station isn't responding. Not being able to do anything with Cumulus subsequently is a bug which I fixed in 1.9.4.

If Bruce's suggestions don't help, you will probably have to reset the station, as in the FAQ.
Steve
odintheterrible

bruce45 wrote:check in device manager that the base station is been seen as a human interface device by unplugging a the usb cable and then reconnecting. you might hear the relay click as you plug the usb cable in but that really only indicates that power is getting to the unit and windows may not be seeing it for data. could be a faulty cable or usb port or the base station has given up.
Cheers for that.
I've checked the cable and tried unplugging and plugging back in to a different USB port and indeed, the unit does respond and then does show in the Device Manager list ... but, now that you mention it, when starting Cumulus, the initial Data progress window doesn't actually shown any progress ... then that's where the prog freezes.
I had bought some Philips AA Lithium Ultra batteries for the winter so that the transmitter on the mast outside wouldn't stop working when the temperature dips (these FR6 batteries have a wide operating temperature range that extends from - 20 to + 30 degrees Celsius, so no unexpected gaps in enjoyment in extreme weather! Additionally, The battery remains fresh for use for up to 7 years. Every battery suffers from energy loss when not in use. Philips guarantee that the battery contains at least 80% of its initial energy within the best before date, which in the case of the one's I've bought is 10-2022!) ... so I'll reset the unit and take the opportunity to fit these new batteries to both Tx & Rx.
Thanks again for the input :-)

Duct Tape is like 'The Force' ... it has a 'Light Side' AND a 'Dark Side' and it binds the Universe together !
odintheterrible

steve wrote:See the FAQ: http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/FAQ#Cumulu ... to_kill_it

The terse 'no response' message is telling you that your station isn't responding. Not being able to do anything with Cumulus subsequently is a bug which I fixed in 1.9.4.

If Bruce's suggestions don't help, you will probably have to reset the station, as in the FAQ.
Hi,
Many thanks for the input.
I think I'm defo heading for a hard reset of the station.