Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Historical Data

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
ramsded
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: W10

Historical Data

Post by ramsded »

I have been trying to input historical data into Cumulus without success.

The data has been converted into what I understand Cumulus needs with a sample being as follows:
01/03/13 00:15 5 100 5 2 4 NNW 0 0 1030.5 0 20.2 40 0 4.9 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Each months worth of data has then been saved as a tab delimited text file, but when I try to view within Cumulus, nothing.

I would appreciate any guidance.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: Historical Data

Post by mcrossley »

The Cumulus monthly files are space comma :oops: delimited rather than tab.

Sorry, I'd just been looking at the realtime.txt file - different beast, different format!
Last edited by mcrossley on Wed 29 May 2013 1:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

I'm confused. The Cumulus data log files are actually comma separated. But what file format is that example supposed to represent?

Edit: I think I understand now, the "NNW" threw me; it has to be a number. But the file has to be comma separated.
Steve
ramsded

Post by ramsded »

Apologies but I'm confused as well now.

I am converting the data within Excel and then saving the result, but if I select a CSV file I get a csv extension to the file name, as I understand from Cumulus help it needs to have a txt extension ?

If the wind direction has to be numerical is this degree based ie south = 180 and I would like to save the data in another folder not on the 'c' drive is this possible.

Dave
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

ramsded wrote:I am converting the data within Excel and then saving the result, but if I select a CSV file I get a csv extension to the file name, as I understand from Cumulus help it needs to have a txt extension ?
The files have to have the format that Cumulus expects, so yes, they have to have a .txt extension. If Excel won't let you save them like that, can you not just rename them?
If the wind direction has to be numerical is this degree based ie south = 180
Yes
and I would like to save the data in another folder not on the 'c' drive is this possible.
For Cumulus to use them, files have to be in the data folder in the Cumulus installation folder.
Steve
ramsded

Post by ramsded »

The monthly file is now being saved as eg Mar13log.txt within the data folder and is in the format as below:

01/03/13,00:15,5,100,5,2,4,337.5,0,0,1030.5,0,20.2,40,0,4.9,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
01/03/13,00:30,5,100,5,2,6,337.5,0,0,1030.4,0,20.1,40,0,4.9,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0

This data is still not viewable, for info this months worth of data is the only data within the programme as it is presently not downloading any data directly so no day files or other files exist.

Any further thoughts appreciated.

Dave
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

ramsded wrote:This data is still not viewable
If the log file viewer can't load the file, there's probably an issue with the file. What happens when you try to view it? If you want to zip up the file and attach it here, I'll see if I can see what the problem is.
no day files or other files exist.
Once you've sorted out the issue with the monthly log file, you'll need to use the dayfile editor to create the entries in dayfile.txt, and then use the various other editors in Cumulus to semi-automatically populate the various high/low data.
Steve
ramsded

Post by ramsded »

Having run the dayfile editor the data is now selectable and visible, although I have some funny values ie it is adding a days weather to the previous days giving a monthly total of 933 rather than 57, maybe I have inserted the data in the wrong column.

I am now checking to see that I can see data with all the options, one initially missing is all time highs and lows.

Thanks for your help.

Dave
ramsded

Post by ramsded »

Forgot before, but attached should be a months zipped data file.

Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Wind bearing should be a whole number. And you've put a cumulative rain figure in the 'rain so far today' column; it has to reset to zero at the end of the day.
Steve
ramsded

Post by ramsded »

Regards rainfall, the data I have is rainfall for each period recorded ( every 15 mins ), please can you advise which column this should be input to and what the other 2 rainfall columns are expecting.

Dave
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

There isn't a column for rain for each entry. Numbering from zero, as in the wiki, the three rain columns are:

08: Current rainfall rate - hopefully obvious
09: Total rainfall today so far - cumulative rainfall for the day (i.e. resets at midnight)
11: Total rainfall counter - what this holds is dependent on the type of station. It's typically the counter from the rain gauge itself, which just keeps incrementing, but may be reset at some point, e.g. year end (so it could be the annual rain counter, for example). This is the figure which, when running for real, Cumulus uses to calculate all of the rain figures.

So my guess would be that the figure you were putting in column 9 is actually what you want in column 11.
Steve