Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Can MX support multiple Davis stations?

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

MikeLempriere
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Win XP SP3

Can MX support multiple Davis stations?

Post by MikeLempriere »

We have a vineyard with several separate blocks of several acres, and we want to add additional weather stations for each block. These are on a hillside so there will be significant differing microclimates to monitor, so this does make sense.

The Davis base station we're using is capable of handling multiple instrument clusters. I have been running Cumulus 1 since 2012, and haven't seen anything that would have me believe it would know what to do if there were multiple ISS clusters connected. I've not actually tried this, so I'm just guessing that it's not there, and that MX won't have that capability either. Please let me know if it can.

If not, is it possible to specify a config file to Cumulus at startup and thus to run multiple instances acting completely independently on the same computer? I'm guessing we'll just have to buy a second base station and a second computer and run them completely independently - someone please let me know if otherwise.

Thank you!
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Re: Can MX support multiple Davis stations?

Post by PaulMy »

Hi,
Have you looked at the Weatherlink Live? https://www.weatherstations.co.uk/weatherlink-live.htm
CumulusMX works with the Weatherlink Live, and you can run more than one instance of CumulusMX on the same computer and accessing the same WLL.

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm

mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Cumulus MX will only support one "primary" ISS with the WLL. You can map the T/H sensors of other ISS transmitters to the "extra" sensors, but you can only have the primary recording rainfall. Likewise you can nominate one transmitter as the wind transmitter, wind data from the others will not be recorded.

As Paul said with a WLL you could run multiple instances of CMX against the same WLL, each with a different "primary" ISS defined. But that is starting to get a bit messy.
MikeLempriere
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Win XP SP3

Post by MikeLempriere »

Thanks all for pointing out WLL, I had not known of this.

However, I don't think it'll do what I need. I need the data for each weather station (more specifically for each ISS), to be ftp'ed up to my own server as a set of files. I parse the Cumulus MonYYlog.txt file to analyze for Powdery Mildew growth potential.

I (do appreciate, but) do not need any of the display capabilities of Cumulus, all I need is a daemon/service that pulls data from the base station and ftp's it up. I don't wish to pay a subscription service to Davis when I'm already paying to co-lo my own server <grin!>.

Can I get there with WLL?
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

MikeLempriere wrote: Sun 10 Jan 2021 6:56 pm I (do appreciate, but) do not need any of the display capabilities of Cumulus, all I need is a daemon/service that pulls data from the base station and ftp's it up. I don't wish to pay a subscription service to Davis when I'm already paying to co-lo my own server <grin!>.

Can I get there with WLL?
No, I don't think so. You will need multiple copies of CMX to do that.