Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Accessing my C MX weather via WAN/internet?

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

AurturoJane
Weather Station: Weather Station
Operating System: Windows XP

Accessing my C MX weather via WAN/internet?

Post by AurturoJane »

I have an IP cam which I can access via my LAN or via the Internet, from anywhere in the world. I am not on a static IP, but I can log into the cam suppliers website, which keeps a record of my current WAN IP and redirects me to my cam IP. I guess the way it works, is that the firmware in the cam, constantly reports back to the site, so the site knows my current IP.

Can I access C MX in a similar way, from the Internet beyond my LAN please?
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Re: Accessing my C MX weather via WAN/internet?

Post by water01 »

You can, but it means opening ports in your firewall which is not advisable.

The CMX admin interface is designed only for local LAN use as it is has no security, so if you did open the ports you have no way of locking it down, which could cause all sorts of problems e.g. malware, hacking etc.
David
mariasbarker
Weather Station: 6250 Vantage Vue Wireless Weathe
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by mariasbarker »

And what software are you using to run a weather station with Cumulus at away location via the internet?
Phil23
Weather Station: Davis VP2+ & GW1000 (Standalone)
Operating System: Win10 Pro / rPi Buster

Post by Phil23 »

water01 wrote: Fri 06 Nov 2020 1:14 pm You can, but it means opening ports in your firewall which is not advisable.

The CMX admin interface is designed only for local LAN use as it is has no security.....
Simple Solution is a good router that will give you a secure VPN.

Having a Dynamic IP or even being behind CG-NAT is not an issue now as the likes of DrayTek have broker services that map the CG-NAT around & manage the Dynamic IP Issue.
:Now: :Today/Yesterday:

Main Station Davis VP2+ Running Via Win10 Pro.
Secondary Stations, Ecowitt HP2551/GW1000 Via rPi 3 & 4 Running Buster GUI.
:Local Inverell Ecowitt Station: :Remote Ashford Ecowitt Station:
BigOkie
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus
Operating System: Raspian Buster (RPi 3b)

Post by BigOkie »

Phil23 wrote: Wed 26 May 2021 9:37 am
water01 wrote: Fri 06 Nov 2020 1:14 pm You can, but it means opening ports in your firewall which is not advisable.

The CMX admin interface is designed only for local LAN use as it is has no security.....
Simple Solution is a good router that will give you a secure VPN.

Having a Dynamic IP or even being behind CG-NAT is not an issue now as the likes of DrayTek have broker services that map the CG-NAT around & manage the Dynamic IP Issue.
I know this is a bit of an old post but I echo this sentiment. I have an old Asus router with Merlin firmware on it and it runs an OpenVPN server without a hitch. I can access it from my mobile phone using the OpenVPN app as well as any pc I'm on. Works like a charm and adds only one extra step and it a bit more secure than opening up ports (which I used to do but I was familiar enough with setting up my opens ports to restrict which IP addresses could access it).
Phil23
Weather Station: Davis VP2+ & GW1000 (Standalone)
Operating System: Win10 Pro / rPi Buster

Post by Phil23 »

BigOkie wrote: Mon 19 Jul 2021 2:00 pm I have an old Asus router with Merlin firmware on it and it runs an OpenVPN server without a hitch. I can access it from my mobile phone using the OpenVPN app as well as any pc I'm on. Works like a charm....
Maybe that is a solution for my planned remote CMX install.

Presume your Router is on a true public IP address.
Is it Static or Dynamic?

As far a the phone is concerned, I'd guess it would be on a CG-NAT connection; that's become the general trend out here in Aus.

So essentially If I could make the remote rPi maintain a persistent connection to my router as a VPN Client, most of my problems would be solved.
(The remote Pi will be on a 4G wireless internet).
:Now: :Today/Yesterday:

Main Station Davis VP2+ Running Via Win10 Pro.
Secondary Stations, Ecowitt HP2551/GW1000 Via rPi 3 & 4 Running Buster GUI.
:Local Inverell Ecowitt Station: :Remote Ashford Ecowitt Station:
Ozdw
Weather Station: Ecowitt
Operating System: Ubuntu

Post by Ozdw »

You might find Zerotier of interest. I've found it much easier and more useable than traditional VPNS.

Dave
BigOkie
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus
Operating System: Raspian Buster (RPi 3b)

Post by BigOkie »

Phil23 wrote: Mon 19 Jul 2021 9:18 pm
BigOkie wrote: Mon 19 Jul 2021 2:00 pm I have an old Asus router with Merlin firmware on it and it runs an OpenVPN server without a hitch. I can access it from my mobile phone using the OpenVPN app as well as any pc I'm on. Works like a charm....
Maybe that is a solution for my planned remote CMX install.

Presume your Router is on a true public IP address.
Is it Static or Dynamic?

As far a the phone is concerned, I'd guess it would be on a CG-NAT connection; that's become the general trend out here in Aus.

So essentially If I could make the remote rPi maintain a persistent connection to my router as a VPN Client, most of my problems would be solved.
(The remote Pi will be on a 4G wireless internet).
True public and while technically my ISP connection is dynamic, it rarely changes (maybe once a year). The ASUS router itself has it's own DDNS service and when it notices an IP changes it re-registers it so you can always have a named address and don't have to remember to check your IP address to see if it's changed.