Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Moving CumulusMX webserver to remote host

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

oman4eva
Weather Station: davis vantage pro 2 plus
Operating System: windows 7

Moving CumulusMX webserver to remote host

Post by oman4eva »

Hi (sorry placed this in web development forum but it's better suited here)

I'm sure this has been asked before but how do i move the local webserver (/CumulusMX/interface/) to a remote computer (server) and have it function? I just tried coping the entire CumulusMX directory (including data etc) do my remote server. Then i open up index.html on the server and it opens the blank template.

Previosuly when i'd used Cumulus 1 i had a winscp-script.bat which would run every minute and put all the Cumulus\web files onto my server and this woked fine. I assume i have to do the same here but am not sure which files i need to copy?

thanks
oman
oman4eva

Re: Moving CumulusMX webserver to remote host

Post by oman4eva »

Ok, looking at the settings i see there's a Web/FTP site option in the Internet settings. I assume this is the option which will ftp your website to the server you list here and this is the method to have the website hosted remotely? I'll have to check if my server allows ftp. If it doesn't is there another option similar to what i was doing with Cumulus 1?

cheers
oman
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

You can't move the user interface, it has to be in the interface folder in the MX installation folder. It won't work on a remote system because it requires MX to act as the web server. It's the MX user interface, it's not a general purpose web site.

You can create a web site with MX just the same as with Cumulus 1. You can either use ftp or copy the files, as with Cumulus 1. The difference with MX is that there are json data files for the graphs page, rather than images. If you want to copy rather than ftp, and you want to use the standard Cumulus web site, you will need to copy those too. MX creates them in the MX installation folder rather than the web folder as with the standard web pages.
Steve
oman4eva

Post by oman4eva »

Thanks Steve,

I don't think my system admin is happy with FTP so i think i'll try to copy the necessary files manually (scp). Which files are necessary? I know you mentioned "MX creates them in the MX installation folder rather than the web folder as with the standard web pages" but i'm not sure what the installation folder is? I have backup, data, interface, MXdiags, Reports, web and webfiles folders.

I did a try of coping the entire CumulusMX directory to the server but haven't got the website working there yet. I assume to run the website on the remote server i need to run the sudo mono CumulusMX.exe command on the server and then route people to the IP address it's running on?

Is there a way to turn off the settings page on the new cumulusMX website? This is fine for the computer that is acutally connected to the weather station but there's no need for it on the remote machine which will be open to the public (i.e. we don't want people messing with the settings even if they have no effect). Do i just need to comment out refernces to the settings pages in the CumulusMX\interfaces\index.html page?

thanks again
oman
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

It is not advisable to use the MX user interface as a public web site, there are discussions about this in previous threads. Removing the links to the settings pages is not sufficiently secure as it is still possible for anyone to access the settings without the link. I have been asked for a way to limit access to the settings (e.g. by password) but this is not straightforward and I do not have a solution.

The installation folder is the folder into which Cumulus has been installed. It is in that folder that MX creates the various json data files which it then uploads automatically to a web site for the graphs (the web site graphs, not the user interface graphs). The other 'dynamic' files for the web site are the .htm files which get created in the web folder, just as with Cumulus 1. I am probably going to change it so that the json files get created in the web folder, as this is a more logical place for them.
Steve