Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Data missed when lengthy archive read occurs on start-up

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Data missed when lengthy archive read occurs on start-up

Post by freddie »

MX version 3024. Vantage Pro2 via Virtual Vp (over TCP/IP). 1 minute logging interval.

I had another instance of data flat-lining yesterday (see separate thread). Stopped MX, copied last good back-up (taken at 19/0900) to data directory. Restarted MX at 1004 UTC today. Archive data read from 0900 UTC on the 19th until 1006 UTC today, which took until 1010 UTC. Live data then read from 1011 UTC today - therefore I have missed 5 minutes of data. Is there any way of getting this data back, other than watching the logs and performing a re-start as soon as the long archive read has occurred?
Freddie
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Data missed when lengthy archive read occurs on start-up

Post by steve »

This has always been a 'feature' of Cumulus, because of the way that it has a 'reading archive data' phase, followed by a 'reading live data' phase which lasts for the rest of the session. Someone did bring this up recently, and asked if it could have another pass at reading the archive data if the first pass took a while, and that's something I could look at in the future.
Steve
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Post by freddie »

steve wrote:This has always been a 'feature' of Cumulus, because of the way that it has a 'reading archive data' phase, followed by a 'reading live data' phase which lasts for the rest of the session.
Ah, I didn't realise that.
steve wrote:Someone did bring this up recently, and asked if it could have another pass at reading the archive data if the first pass took a while, and that's something I could look at in the future.
That would be really useful.
Thanks for the reply.
Freddie
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

Actually, it's quite trivial to unconditionally do a second pass (for Davis stations only) so I'll give that a try. If there happens to be no more data anyway, the second pass should only take half a second or so.
Steve