Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Raspberry Pi 2

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: Raspberry Pi 2

Post by mcrossley »

Thanks Steve, actually I am leaning towards something like a CubieTruck 3 - it has a proper eSATA port for attaching a HDD, or more likely a small SSD, and 2GB of ram. The Pi-2 still has network and disk going through the same USB 2 port as far as I can tell which is a bit of a bottle neck for a database.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

Installed Debian on my BBB, had to go here for a mono package - http://pingfu.net/programming/troublesh ... black.html

MX seems to run about the same as on the Pi2 (similar CPU usage etc). I didn't have anything else running. I'm looking for something to replace my WHS box, which currently runs Cumulus, takes automatic backups of the PCs, acts as a music server and general file server. Was thinking about a NAS, but maybe the Pi2 or BBB with a USB drive or two will do the job. I don't know whether the BBB has the same bottleneck that you mention. CubieTruck 3 looks interesting.
Steve
WoodburyMan
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1000
Operating System: Windows 10 20H2

Post by WoodburyMan »

Cumulus is running a bit smoother on my Pi 2 I just got yesterday, replacing my B+ that wasn't even a month old. Each core I see maybe spikes to 1-2% at most. Overall system 5 minute average is only .02 out of 4.00. I to have to find other things for my pi to do.
Woodbury, CT Weather Ecowitt GW1100, Solar, Wind, Rain, Temp, Soil, Lightning
Southington, CT Weather Ecowitt GW2000 Wittboy Solar, Wind, Rain, Temp, Soil, Lightning, CO2/PM2.5/PM10

Running CumuluxMX 3.24.1 b3234 both sites on Windows 11 22H2
bigmac
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Wireless
Operating System: Raspbian wheezy

Post by bigmac »

WoodburyMan wrote:..... I to have to find other things for my pi to do.
Slightly off-topic, having just received my pi 2, I will be looking to install Cumulus on it soon. I have also been looking into other things I can use the pi for and I have acquired a Z-wave thermostat (Danfoss LC-13) for a radiator so am looking at integrating some "automated home/heating" stuff.
Being a complete newbie with the pi, can I install the same base Linux image i.e. Raspbian and then install everything else I need on top? Just getting a bit confused with everything I am reading. :?
laulau
Weather Station: WeatherDuino Pro2
Operating System: Win 7

Post by laulau »

For domotic stuff look here : http://www.domoticz.com/
Laurent

bigmac
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Wireless
Operating System: Raspbian wheezy

Post by bigmac »

laulau wrote:For domotic stuff look here : http://www.domoticz.com/
Thanks for that.
Turns out I can install Domoticz on my Synology NAS. So still looking for other things for the Pi to do :lol:
tumutbound
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Linux, Raspberry Pi (Wheezy)

Post by tumutbound »

As well as CumulusMX on my Rpi 2, I have an RTL-SDR USB dongle installed and I'm using it to play around with AIS and ADS-B.
I also have one of these installed http://wiki.openenergymonitor.org/index ... RFM12Pi_V2. This is an RFM12B transceiver and an Arduino compatible Atmel chip that allows me to play around with 433Mhz band which is where the Fine Offset weatherstaion operates (in Australia anyway)
My weather
CumulusMX (3036)
Raspberry Pi: Wheezy
FineOffset WH1081
WoodburyMan

Post by WoodburyMan »

Off topic as well... but I got a Pi 2 for work Thursday last week. I have a custom application I created last December-January to replace old pen and paper sign in sheet we had for visitors. It records the visitors sign in and sign out times into SQL, view-able via another file not user accessible, and retrieves list of users logged in via SQL when they go to sign out. It prints out a sticky label pass for the visitor, and emails their host letting them know their guest has arrived. It runs apache2, php, mysql. Prior to this it ran on one server, and printed via a obscure method that involved dropping a text file on a server, that send a print job to a desktop PC. This now runs completely on the Pi 2 and prints by generating a PDF via PHP and printing directly via USB via Cups using the printer drivers Dymo provides.

Video demo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTLyRCfArww

We have the users sign in on a iPad for now. As you can see by the via I get frustrated by iPads easily, and I may be replacing it with a touchscreen LCD hooked up directly to the Pi 2 via HDMI / USB.

Now that I already have the Pi 2 at work.. installing a cheap Fine Offset station there will be easy with Cumulus. However we have a regional airport a quarter mile down the road (planes buzz the building all day) and they're the local METAR station.
Southington, CT Weather Ecowitt GW2000 Wittboy Solar, Wind, Rain, Temp, Soil, Lightning, CO2/PM2.5/PM10

tumutbound
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Linux, Raspberry Pi (Wheezy)

Post by tumutbound »

WoodburyMan wrote:
Video demo.
Video is marked private.
My weather
CumulusMX (3036)
Raspberry Pi: Wheezy
FineOffset WH1081
WoodburyMan

Post by WoodburyMan »

tumutbound wrote:
WoodburyMan wrote:
Video demo.
Video is marked private.
Whoops! Fixed! Meant to mark it as unlisted, did private by accident.