Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Trends and IE11

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

BCJKiwi
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Cabled
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Re: Trends and IE11

Post by BCJKiwi »

Confirm date is fixed here too.

Mixed results on trends.
Testing with IE11 on Win8.1Pro
1. When opening the page, Chart is displayed now so that aspect is fixed but not consistent on the public site - see below.
2. On the public site a page refresh (by any of the normal means); will bring up a page without the chart, clicking the button will bring up the chart but with old data. The same happens if visiting the site anew.
3. On the local LAN webserver a page refresh (by any of the normal means); will bring up a page but with old data unless you wait a while but this seems inconsistent.
4. An F12, Network, Clear Cache will then bring up fresh data on both public and local.
5. Chrome requires a Shift refresh to bring up new data depending on how long it is since it was last refreshed.
Testing on another local LAN PC (Win7 IE11) and on the Win7 PC running CumulusMX.exe, the same behaviour is experienced as on the Win 8.1 PC (only tested on the LAN).

I presume most of this has to do with the caching behaviour.

IE's debugger is not showing any errors.

On an aside - have major issues with IE11 on my Router/Firewall (Netgear) as it just kept locking up and not working with forms when trying to complete some config changes. Changed over to Chrome - worked like a charm.
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

I am using IE11 on Windows 7 and I am afraid it is working perfectly with CumulusMX charts and all the other pages.

Have you tried doing a Reset (Internet Options / Advanced Tab at the bottom of the window) as I find that this usually stops IE's weird behaviour?
David
BCJKiwi

Post by BCJKiwi »

Unfortunately that does not help on my setup.

IE11 is also very slow loading the chart on first entry to the page compared to Chrome.
Chrome is visibly much faster.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

I think your basic problem is that your web server is not currently sending back any hints about how to cache resources, it is leaving it to the browser.

I have set a base cache times in the main Apache config file

Code: Select all

# Expires module
<IfModule expires_module>
    ExpiresActive On
    ExpiresDefault "access plus 1 day"
    ExpiresByType image/png "access plus 1 month"
    ExpiresByType application/json "modification plus 5 seconds"
    ExpiresByType application/javascript "access plus 1 month"
    ExpiresByType application/xhtml+xml "access plus 1 hour"
    ExpiresByType application/xml "access plus 1 hour"
    ExpiresByType application/x-javascript "access plus 1 week"
    ExpiresByType application/x-httpd-php "access plus 1 hour"
    ExpiresByType text/plain "modification plus 5 seconds"
    ExpiresByType text/xml "access plus 1 hour"
    ExpiresByType text/css "access plus 1 week"
    ExpiresByType image/svg+xml "access plus 1 hour"
</IfModule>
Which I then over-ride at a folder level as required with a .htaccess file, such as (an example)

Code: Select all

<FilesMatch "^(dataSummary|noaa|top10s)\.php*">
    ExpiresActive On
    ExpiresDefault "access plus 3 hours"
    Header set Cache-Control "max-age=10800"
</FilesMatch>
BCJKiwi

Post by BCJKiwi »

I am no expert on things linux nor Apache so run a pretty much 'out of the box' config of WAMP on a WIN7 Pro box.
I see there is an expires module in WAMP/bin/apache/apache2.49/conf/httpd.conf
#LoadModule expires_module modules/mod_expires.so
which was turned off (#).
Turning it on makes no difference and the modules listing indicates it is not loading. Will try to see if I can sort that. Have left it on and added your sample to httpd.conf (and restarted all services). No obvious difference at this time but will look further and report back.

However I do not understand why this particular expires functionality should be required for the trends page alone. Everything else works the same on the internal webserver as it does on the public hosted webserver.
Currently the same problem with trends.htm is occurring on the public hosted webserver as well. The only thing that seems to be affected by this is the trends page. Don't have any issues with other stuff on the local webserver (e.g. all the Saratoga stuff) but do notice that IE11 is slow recognising changes to .js code.
Again behaviour on IE is different from other browsers.

Many of the issues I see with IE and mentioned before - particularly in relation to forms - occur on sites on the internet, not on the LAN webserver.

As mentioned above, tried water01's suggestion on another PC but it made no difference.
BCJKiwi

Post by BCJKiwi »

OK, after much searching on the net I found an option which works and is something I have set before but it obviously has been unset by an update or some such. Never occurred to me to go check it which should have been trouble shooting step 101! Kicking myself for all the wasted time and apologies for any trouble I have caused for you guys and gals.

So in the interest of maybe helping someone else who runs into this issue:-
in IE11;
Tools
Internet Options
Settings
Click radio button for 'Every time I visit the webpage'

It seems to be the only setting that works - i.e. automatically and 'Caches and databases' turned off don't fix this issue.
It still takes longer to load the trends page than Chrome but is faster than before.
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

That explains it I already had that set from a previous problem with cache!!
David
henkg
Weather Station: WH3080 (Alecto WS-5000 ECO)
Operating System: Raspbian Wheezy on RPI B+

Post by henkg »

steve wrote:But it looks like a better solution would be to disable caching on the Ajax calls in cumuluscharts.js, by adding "cache: false" to them
Link: Subject: Graphs on the website will not be updated ... ?

This works for me. Thanks to Steve.