Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Page for FTP update

Please use this Forum to make suggestions for the future updates additions and general maintenance of the Wiki. Since I am sure most of these will be valid suggestions, so as they are completed in the Wiki the Topic will be deleted from this Forum, and this will act as reminder to anyone updating the Wiki of the jobs still to be done.

Moderator: HansR

HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bullseye

Page for FTP update

Post by HansR »

I think the FTP page requires updating.

I am fast gaining experience with SFTP and there are several issues there of which I think should be in the Wiki but I cannot find the page nor the structure to add them too.
The page itself requires a split in Cumulus 1 and MX setup and SFTP must be added OR the website setup should be on its own and the protocols should get a page of their own (maybe split into C1 and CMX). Thinking about special separate pages for the three protocols might be useful.

The goal should be that the word FTP anywhere in the wiki can be linked to an FTP page describing or dispatching to the protocols pages.

EDIT: later I found the SFTP-page which I think is heavily outdated. The opening line
Many ISPs now only support Secure FTP due to the open, unsecure nature of standard FTP.
is wrong. It maybe so in Britain, it definitely is not so elsewhere. FTP may leads to problems maybe. It should be worded differently, something like: 'The future of FTP seems to be driving towards'.
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
sfws
Weather Station: Chas O, Maplin N96FY, N25FR
Operating System: rPi 3B+ with Buster (full)

Re: Page for FTP update

Post by sfws »

There are several appeals in this sub-forum for the Cumulus Wiki to be updated.
It is about time others volunteered to do that.
A pandemic has affected the whole world, surely somebody has spare time?

There is a lot of work needed to rewrite it for the latest MX, and to keep it up to date.
  • It needs to be done by someone (or a group of people) who understands some functionality of MX, and therefore can explain everything to people just interested in one feature.
  • Preferably it needs to be done by someone who either has never used the legacy software, or who uses MX with a weather station not supported by the legacy software, because they will know what has not yet been documented.
EDIT:Improved layout of points above.

Currently, there are hundreds of people who have been given write access to the Wiki, but the vast majority of them have never made a single contribution (e.g. Clayweather, NEJFD, Mandystorms67, GDevic, Justobc, Avajadi, Alex W, Hallrick, baley, WeatherKen, Rogerlite, George, Alain71500). Are these hoax users who should be removed?
A possible reason for not contributing might be because there can be a considerable delay between a request, and it being responded to. It might be that most of the registered users are still using the legacy software (and believe that is documented correctly), it might be the people have deceased, or just they are no longer interested in Cumulus.
Last edited by sfws on Mon 12 Apr 2021 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
HansR

Post by HansR »

Very nice piece of prose again @sfws but this is not going to be very useful or helpful. Repetitive crying for help apparently does not help.

What is required is somebody responsible for the structure so that some may take subsets in control and other people, development and users, may add info. And it is very clear you do not want it so it is not going to be you. To be honest, the best way is simply to take your hands off completely, let the wiki drift and wait until somebody picks up.

Managing the wiki does NOT imply writing everything and writing does not imply managing everything or taking responsibility for the total. You say yourself:
It needs to be done by someone (or a group of people) who understands all.the functionality of MX
So start with somebody responsible for global structure and final redaction. Then assemble writers, make divisions in user interface, technique, inner working, parameters etc... Make empty shells to fill in and the invite writers. Create a hierarchical structure with cross connections (in visual schema is necessary for others to see what the structure is).

I did not ask to be asked for being responsible for the total overhaul of the wiki, I merely asked for restructuring of the subset of pages dealing with FTP. I have other things on my mind than being responsible for the wiki and you know that. So don't start this on my question, it does not serve a purpose and does not answer my question. Neither is this crying act inspirational for others afaics.

I offer to add info, not to take responsibility so don't reply in that sense, it does not help.

And make a note on the opening page about participating in the wiki more prominent and less 'oh if you intend to write ...'. Nobody will write unless you invite. Make the opening note something like: this wiki exists only by contribution from its users so : CONTRIBUTE! Contact : 'the manager' and ask what you can do. Once in a while somebody may contact that manager and then be prepared and have sections ready which need to be filled in. Prepare, organise and summarize.... then after writing: check, review, control. And if still within the lifecycle of the page: modify. Pages at the end of their lifecycle: archive and rewrite when the subject is still necessary. Limit the pages in content: users don't need history (that's a separate page), users need operational info.

A community is more than individuals making things and then leave it because individuals have their limits as you yourself have made clear.
Believe me Linux is not just Linus T. Cumulus is more than Mark C.
It is, or should be, organisation. So organise.

Edit: start by organising/asking those ghost contributors with write access: non-existent: delete. Existent: ask.
Hans

HansR

Post by HansR »

@sfws: to emphasize my point about invitation a bit, the following.

On february 1 you wrote on the Updating MX to new version:
HansR on support forum is developing an installer as this is being typed, see this topic.

I hope he will update this section appropriately.
But you did not tell me nor invite me to follow up.
I just coincidently found the paragraph and yes, I will play my part.

But please, if you want me (or anybody) to write a piece of information because somebody created a utility or simply has the knowledge: ASK.
I don't browse the wiki daily and there are huge parts I never visit or read (e.g. C1 definitely is far away for me).
I am not unwilling to (re)write pieces, but I don't have the overview of the wiki. Just mentioning my name does not guarantee I find an invitation like the above: I normally don't search my own name on Google or in the wiki.

So don't hesitate, just make an inventory what needs to be done and invite (not only me please ;) ).
Hans