Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

[Implemented] MQTT retain message

A Forum to archive Cumulus MX development suggestions that have been rejected or solved by other means.
picca
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Debian 11

[Implemented] MQTT retain message

Post by picca »

A retained message is a normal MQTT message with the retained flag set to true. The broker stores the last retained message and the corresponding QoS for that topic.
Each client that subscribes to a topic pattern that matches the topic of the retained message receives the retained message immediately after they subscribe. The broker stores only one retained message per topic. (As explained by: https://www.hivemq.com/blog/mqtt-essent ... -messages/)
Retained messages help newly-subscribed clients get a status update immediately after they subscribe to a topic. The retained message eliminates the wait for the publishing clients to send the next update.

I made a small pull request on GitHub that works well for me: (It solves some "problems" of developing an application based on MQTT subscription)

https://github.com/cumulusmx/CumulusMX/pull/86

Davide
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: MQTT retain message

Post by mcrossley »

I deliberately did not set the retained flag, I thought it better to have to wait a short while for an update, rather than possibly get data that is stale - possibly by a long time.

But MQTT is pretty new code and there is scope for change/improvement. One possibility is to add retained as an optional configuration item.
picca
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Debian 11

Post by picca »

I agree. Surely it could be implemented with a checkbox.

It depends on the type of application in which MQTT is used. In my case, using MQTT in a * application turns out to be convenient to have last available data immediately showed to client and eventually check the time of the last data received throught a script.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

This feature will be available in v3.9.0 of Cumulus MX.