Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

RESOLVED: C1 feature not in MX - [MainForm]

A Forum to archive Cumulus MX development suggestions that have been rejected or solved by other means.
sfws
Weather Station: Chas O, Maplin N96FY, N25FR
Operating System: rPi 3B+ with Buster (full)

RESOLVED: C1 feature not in MX - [MainForm]

Post by sfws »

(I already asked this in a post elsewhere, but I am re-posting it here where it belongs in the new forum structure)

Now MX is working for me, I tend to minimise the Command window in which the engine runs on a Windows PC, so the following idea is not an urgent need.

Within my Cumulus 1 "Cumulus.ini" file there is

Code: Select all

[MainForm]
Left=2170
Top=26
Since my PC has 2 screens attached, the above instruction kept the main form screen of Cumulus 1 on my smaller RH monitor (or in general wherever it was when it was last closed, is where it is when it restarts),letting me keep one eye on it while leaving my larger LH monitor available for other work. The MX "Cumulus.ini" does not include that section, and takes no notice if it is present. Of course, I can open the user interface where I like and my browser tends to open where it was last closed, it can display similar information to that I saw on the C1 main screen, but not in as compact a layout. The other point is that I am using my browser for other work, I have at times had 2 different browsers open, but that is messy solution.

The engine however does give an easy summary of nothing (for ok) or error status, in the command window, so I do feel that would be more useful to tuck away on other screen.

The suggestion is, could MX be modified in the future to use Cumulus.ini to record where the command window was when it was last closed, so when it is started again it uses that position?
I am prepared to be told nobody else wants this!
EDIT: Topic title revised
Last edited by sfws on Wed 25 Mar 2020 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Re: C1 feature not in MX - [MainForm]

Post by freddie »

I don't think it's a case of nobody wanting it. I think it is the case that Cumulus 1 was a GUI program that created its own window and display resources when it was started - so had control over its placement. MX isn't a GUI program - it is a "headless" server program and so has no control over any graphical components such as windows.
Freddie
sfws
Weather Station: Chas O, Maplin N96FY, N25FR
Operating System: rPi 3B+ with Buster (full)

Post by sfws »

freddie wrote: Tue 24 Mar 2020 7:20 pm "headless" server program
Accepted, and I also accept that many people will run MX on a device that does not have a screen attached.

But it you do have a screen attached to a PC running MX, MX does open up a window, the Command window I was mentioning.
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Post by freddie »

sfws wrote: Tue 24 Mar 2020 8:02 pmBut it you do have a screen attached to a PC running MX, MX does open up a window, the Command window I was mentioning.
I understand what you're saying, but I still think my theory applies. With Cumulus 1, it created its own window from scratch so had positional control. With MX, I think it just says to the operating system "I'm a console program without any graphics" and the side-effect of that is for the OS to provide a console window. The program doesn't actually need it, and has no concept of how it looks (the only visible evidence of it starting is the text it generates at startup, which is commonly written into a file). So I do think it is apples/oranges, as a console program is only interested in running and doesn't have a graphical environment, whereas a GUI program is very invested in its own look and feel.
Freddie
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

Interestingly enough I decided to investigate the changes to Command Window in Windows. They have added the ability to change the background and foreground colours, but if you create a shortcut for CumulusMX.exe and edit its Properties it gets even better.

The Properties window has way more options than it used to have!!

You can set it to run as Admin by clicking on the Advanced button on Shortcut.

You still have to set the Run As Admin in the Compatibility tab for CumulusMX.exe itself.

You can change the Colours of the Window in the Colours Tab.

But more importantly from sfws's point of view you can change the position of the window that opens.

And here is what happened when I ran it (no station on this computer so it was a test only).

So you can set a command window position!!
David