Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Single Purpose Directories / Folders

Please DO NOT use this to publish your entire wish. This Forum is for specific suggestions to enhance the usability of Cumulus MX for all users, NOT your personal requirements. Please check this forum and the rejected forum to make sure you are NOT posting a DUPLICATE suggestion. It will be heavily monitored by Admin and Mark Crossley to determine the feasibility and the difficulty of the suggestion. Those Topics that are deemed inadmissible will moved to the rejected Forum. The remaining Topics will be the Accepted list of future developments, and when our voluntary development group adds it to a build, the build number will be added to the Topic title.
radilly
Weather Station: Ambient WS-2080
Operating System: Raspberry Pi 3, OS Buster Lite

Single Purpose Directories / Folders

Post by radilly »

First, I confess I've net yet broached crossing into Release 3.10.0 - build 3115. So I apologize if this is now moot...

Part of my reservation in updating stems from not fully understanding the purpose of each folder. Let me add to that my use of rsync via ssh - because that's turned out to be the most reliable method for my particular web host provider. Currently I rsync the web folder. That means on the initial upload I copy over not only the files I need, but also the T.xxx templates. Because they don't change the synch doesn't copy them each time - though it does interrogate each.

So for some time I've thought it would be helpful to organize the folders in such a way that each has a single function. So for the example above, web, might split into:
  • templates
  • generated ... or maybe outgoing
This would help me understand how to rework my rsync scripting.

Somewhat similarly, data and history seem to involve multiple folders. Definitely data, perhaps backup ... others? More generally I'd just like to understand the file tree.

What I do understand largely comes from using the find with the -mtime flag so I can focus on what's changed "recently". I don't know that I ever found a description of the key folders' purposes. Maybe that would be sufficient.

I'm also a little uncertain if viewtopic.php?p=148477#p148477 is applicable to migrating to the new structure. As BCJKiwi wrote right after that post, I think I do have some accumulated cruft I would like to clean up during the transition. I have some .db files out there I suspect are obsolete...

2 levels of folders from the latest distro

Code: Select all

CumulusMXDist3122/backup
CumulusMXDist3122/backup/daily
CumulusMXDist3122/MXdiags
CumulusMXDist3122/web
CumulusMXDist3122/data
CumulusMXDist3122/MXutils
CumulusMXDist3122/MXutils/linux
CumulusMXDist3122/MXutils/windows
CumulusMXDist3122/interface
CumulusMXDist3122/interface/img