Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Cumulus passwords web

Please DO NOT use this to publish your entire wish. This Forum is for specific suggestions to enhance the usability of Cumulus MX for all users, NOT your personal requirements. Please check this forum and the rejected forum to make sure you are NOT posting a DUPLICATE suggestion. It will be heavily monitored by Admin and Mark Crossley to determine the feasibility and the difficulty of the suggestion. Those Topics that are deemed inadmissible will moved to the rejected Forum. The remaining Topics will be the Accepted list of future developments, and when our voluntary development group adds it to a build, the build number will be added to the Topic title.
CarlosLSev
Weather Station: Waldebeck Halley
Operating System: Raspberry Os

Cumulus passwords web

Post by CarlosLSev »

Hello, I use CumulusMX, but instead of having it on the raspberry pi or pc I installed it on the web server (vps) hosting or my web hosting server uses ubuntu 2004. I installed and configured it. To read the data I opened the port 45000 of my router to the ip of gw1000. In the web interface it gives an error when trying to use noip, ddns etc. But editing cumulus.ini like this [GW1000] IP address = url.ddns.net It works. The only downside is that the example web interface www.yoursiteweb.com:8998 You do not have a password. That fixed it by changing port from 8998 to another random one. At the same time opening said port in vps. www.yoursiteweb.com:XXXX Is it possible to add passwords to the cumulusmx web interface if it is used like this? Is it possible that when configuring ipaddress to allow web addresses (noip, ddns, change, etc)? Thanks for your time
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Re: Cumulus passwords web

Post by freddie »

In theory, yes a password can probably be set up. It is also possible to make the GW IP address or hostname dynamic.

I think what you have done here is not a good idea. Here are some reasons:
  • An IP address change and subsequent registration in DNS is not instantaneous - it takes a while for the new mapping to propagate through DNS. A restart of MX will be required to use the new details. Timing of that restart could prove problematic for this reason.
  • It is trivial to run a port scan on your router IP and expose your weather station to the world, potentially allowing others access to the station configuration.
  • It is trivial to run a port scan on your VPS and expose your MX installation to the world. That could be done right now, giving others the ability to access/change your MX configuration.
In theory it is possible to have a relatively safe version of this setup if you have fine-grained control over both router and VPS firewalls. I would only ever consider it with a static IP address, though.

I don't know whether your weather station has a data logger, but you would certainly need one in order to not lose data should your internet connection drop. Even if it did, you would need to restart MX in order to collect the logged data.

MX is designed to run in the (relative) safety of your LAN. Any change to this would require significant changes to MX. I don't see that as a priority for developers at the moment.
Freddie
ConligWX
Weather Station: Davis vPro2+ w/DFARS + AirLink
Operating System: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

Post by ConligWX »

tbh this is not recommended to use the CumulusMX Setup directly as a public website, thats why Developers create website templates :groan:

better using a template like this one: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=17845 as it has no direct access to all your CumulusMX folder/file structures.

There is no way this will be approved as a development suggestion.
Regards Simon

https://www.conligwx.org - @conligwx
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus with Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • Davis AirLink • PurpleAir •

CarlosLSev
Weather Station: Waldebeck Halley
Operating System: Raspberry Os

Post by CarlosLSev »

Thanks for the answers