Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

[IMPLMENTED] Heat sum & growing season

A Forum to archive Cumulus MX development suggestions that have been rejected or solved by other means.
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Re: Heat sum & growing season

Post by PaulMy »

Hi Hans,
and my apology... I update more frequently than I read... http://komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.html [Graphs] > [Misc Graphs] Temperature Sum, and Growing Degree Days

I am 'minus' 522.90 GDD at the moment and looks like to wait until the end of May to get at 'plus', and 324.8 Temp Sum.

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm

HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bullseye

Post by HansR »

Hi Paul,

That's the intresting thing of long series and the full show of the winter temp development.
Interesting to look at the winter development of the previous years.
Lot to see there.

Oh, and no apology, I understand. I am happy to have a stronghold on your continent :lol:
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
Pes
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2+
Operating System: Win10

Post by Pes »

mcrossley wrote: Wed 21 Apr 2021 12:30 pm I'm struggling to understand the usefulness of the heat accumulation?

The graphs @pes has linked, show the accumulation going below zero, I would have thought you would have a threshold, and add the accumulation above that threshold.

My logic is that once the temperature drops below the point at which something stops happening (trees growing for instance), it stops, it can't stop more the lower the temperature?

I think I must be missing something :?
The graphics of heat accumulation are in no way related to the benefit of the plant. And I don’t know if the meteorological institutes will follow this. But here you can see when winter ends and spring begins. Similarly, when autumn ends and winter begins (0 degree threshold in Finland). Easy to follow the whole year curve when there has been a warm period, a severe frost period, a mild summer cold period in winter, etc. The ripple in the graphics tells a lot of things like how the years are different from each other.
Pes

Post by Pes »

mcrossley wrote: Mon 19 Apr 2021 9:52 am OK, my view...

The argument between integrated and max+min / 2 methods for calculating the GDD is a bit moot. I calculated using both methods going back over all my data (5 minute intervals).

Most years the difference using a 5C base temp was around 10 GDD (either way) out of a total of ~ 1500 - 2000. Around 0.5%, so not really worth arguing about when most of the GDD "ranges" I have seen for growth events are at least an order of magnitude or two greater.

I do note that the integral method does seem count days earlier in the season than the max/min method - maybe using the integral method would allow them to refine the ranges? Though I suspect it is much more complex than that, and sunshine hours and soil moisture also need to be factored in to create a "growth index". Anyone up for that?!

I intend to implement the max+min / 2 method Variant A , there a few reasons for this...
  1. Using the integral method is computationally expensive to perform retrospectively and you lose the minute by minute data, which means that the GDD really has to be recorded daily into the dayfile. This means extending the MySQL schema, and the ExportToMySQL and CreateMissing utilities. This is not something I wish to do.
  2. The max+min / 2 method is simple enough to to implement on the fly, so no extension to the dayfile required
  3. Calculating GDD on the fly means the base temperature can easily be amended for different crops
I intend to implement the ability to show two different GDD series which can have different base temperatures. The data selection gets a bit messy with lots of years of data, but I see this is a tool for farmers and horticulturists not a casual click and scan visitor. Maybe someone can come up with good way of handling lots of data series in HighCharts.
Thermal growing season:

To determine the beginning of the thermal growing season:
The thermal growing season begins when the snow has melted from open places and the average daily temperature rises permanently above +5 degrees. As the average daily temperature in the spring can vary for a long time on both sides of +5 degrees, the situation is monitored for 10 days.

End of thermal growth season:
In autumn, the thermal growing season ends when the average daily temperature drops permanently below +5 degrees or a permanent snow cover is obtained. In autumn, even severe night frosts interrupt the growing season for several nights in a row.

Monitoring of the thermal growth season using the sum of the effective temperature:
The unit of the effective temperature sum is the degree of day in ° Cvrk. The amount is accrued for days when the average daily temperature is above +5 degrees. The sum includes the part of the daily average temperature exceeding five degrees during the growing season. If the average daily temperature during the growing season is below + 5 degrees, the amount is not accumulated, but it is not reduced either. The growing season is then considered to have stopped temporarily.

Daily value of air temperature (average daily temperature):

From 1959 onwards, the daily mean temperature values ​​(ºC) are calculated from the instantaneous temperature value at the eight observation times of the day (00,03,06,09,12, 15,18 and 21 UTC). If not all eight temperature values ​​are available, then the average can be calculated using the four temperature values ​​and the 12-hour extremes (minimum and maximum temperatures) measured in the morning (6 UTC) and evening (18 UTC), depending on the missing observation time.

Previous data copied from the Finnish Meteorological Institute (FMI) page.
There is no mention of the +30 degree limit on the FMI website.

At my weather station over 10 years, maximum average temperatures range from +20 to +25 degrees (+25 degrees for a total of five days)

But you have to think about it globally, so you may have to use the +30 degree limit as well.

The Degree Days and Temp Sum Graphics look great. My graphics have been implemented according to the average of the NOAA calculated by cmx so it's good to see what is the difference between the actual calculation method.
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bullseye

Post by HansR »

Thanks @pes
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
Pes

Post by Pes »

Pes wrote: Wed 21 Apr 2021 7:19 pm
mcrossley wrote: Mon 19 Apr 2021 9:52 am OK, my view...

The argument between integrated and max+min / 2 methods for calculating the GDD is a bit moot. I calculated using both methods going back over all my data (5 minute intervals).

Most years the difference using a 5C base temp was around 10 GDD (either way) out of a total of ~ 1500 - 2000. Around 0.5%, so not really worth arguing about when most of the GDD "ranges" I have seen for growth events are at least an order of magnitude or two greater.

I do note that the integral method does seem count days earlier in the season than the max/min method - maybe using the integral method would allow them to refine the ranges? Though I suspect it is much more complex than that, and sunshine hours and soil moisture also need to be factored in to create a "growth index". Anyone up for that?!

I intend to implement the max+min / 2 method Variant A , there a few reasons for this...
  1. Using the integral method is computationally expensive to perform retrospectively and you lose the minute by minute data, which means that the GDD really has to be recorded daily into the dayfile. This means extending the MySQL schema, and the ExportToMySQL and CreateMissing utilities. This is not something I wish to do.
  2. The max+min / 2 method is simple enough to to implement on the fly, so no extension to the dayfile required
  3. Calculating GDD on the fly means the base temperature can easily be amended for different crops
I intend to implement the ability to show two different GDD series which can have different base temperatures. The data selection gets a bit messy with lots of years of data, but I see this is a tool for farmers and horticulturists not a casual click and scan visitor. Maybe someone can come up with good way of handling lots of data series in HighCharts.
Thermal growing season:

To determine the beginning of the thermal growing season:
The thermal growing season begins when the snow has melted from open places and the average daily temperature rises permanently above +5 degrees. As the average daily temperature in the spring can vary for a long time on both sides of +5 degrees, the situation is monitored for 10 days.

End of thermal growth season:
In autumn, the thermal growing season ends when the average daily temperature drops permanently below +5 degrees or a permanent snow cover is obtained. In autumn, even severe night frosts interrupt the growing season for several nights in a row.

Monitoring of the thermal growth season using the sum of the effective temperature:
The unit of the effective temperature sum is the degree of day in ° Cvrk. The amount is accrued for days when the average daily temperature is above +5 degrees. The sum includes the part of the daily average temperature exceeding five degrees during the growing season. If the average daily temperature during the growing season is below + 5 degrees, the amount is not accumulated, but it is not reduced either. The growing season is then considered to have stopped temporarily.

Daily value of air temperature (average daily temperature):

From 1959 onwards, the daily mean temperature values ​​(ºC) are calculated from the instantaneous temperature value at the eight observation times of the day (00,03,06,09,12, 15,18 and 21 UTC). If not all eight temperature values ​​are available, then the average can be calculated using the four temperature values ​​and the 12-hour extremes (minimum and maximum temperatures) measured in the morning (6 UTC) and evening (18 UTC), depending on the missing observation time.

Previous data copied from the Finnish Meteorological Institute (FMI) page.
There is no mention of the +30 degree limit on the FMI website.

At my weather station over 10 years, maximum average temperatures range from +20 to +25 degrees (+25 degrees for a total of five days)

But you have to think about it globally, so you may have to use the +30 degree limit as well.

The Degree Days and Temp Sum Graphics look great. My graphics have been implemented according to the average of the NOAA calculated by cmx so it's good to see what is the difference between the actual calculation method.
I've been thinking about 30-degree limit of what it means. Is it the case that if the average daily temperature exceeds +30 degrees that day is not counted in the length of the growing season and what happens to the heat sum will increase or decrease. Whether to add a degree between +30 and +5 to the previously accumulated heat sum. If possible, it would be good to be able to choose whether you want to meet the +30 degree limit. I would not use it, as it distorts the heat sum and the length of the growing season.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

The way I have implemented it you can opt out of applying the limit. If it kicks in all is does set the maximum (and the minimum if applicable - that's warm!) to 30C in the calculation (max + min) / 2 - base.

So if using 5C base temperature, 25C would be maximum that could be added for any one day.