Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

[IMPLMENTED] Heat sum & growing season

A Forum to archive Cumulus MX development suggestions that have been rejected or solved by other means.
Pes
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2+
Operating System: Win10

[IMPLMENTED] Heat sum & growing season

Post by Pes »

I want to find out the length of the growing season and the amount of heat. That is, all days when the average daily temperature exceeds 5 degrees Celsius. Less than 5 degrees Celsius is not included.
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bullseye

Re: Heat sum & growing season

Post by HansR »

So what would be your criterium for the start/end of the growing season? A certain temperature sum?
Counting days where the average temperature is above 5 deg C should not be too difficult because that is figure in the Dayfile.
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Whilst there is no direct support in Cumulus MX, you could adapt the Cooling Degree day threshold in the NOAA reports to partially do this - if you do not use the reports for anything else.

Set the Cooling threshold to 5C, then Cooling Degree Days becomes your Growing Degree Days.

From this old thread
HansR

Post by HansR »

Interesting thread. Indeed the 5 degree limit can be counted easily. The temperature sum is more difficult. Here is a Dutch site explaining. Not really an equation and here it is "from January the sum of average temperature when above 0 degree".
Hans

Pes

Post by Pes »

The site has charts of heat accumulation and heat sum for each year. I calculate them with an excel program from the average daily temperature. I compare years with each other like this. Heat sum graphics link https://jussilanet.com/tehotemp.htm and heat buildup graphics link https://jussilanet.com/sumheat.htm. Is it possible in the future to get cmx to run these graphics?
HansR

Post by HansR »

@Pes: I am not sure this would be something taken up in CMX, Mark would have to say something about it.
If not, then it would be interesting enough to take these up in CumulusUtils (I may do that anyway). But that would require you to use that tool (beside whatever you use or as main tool). Look at my site for what it is. I have a Background in agriculture/forestry, so I do understand the requirement. But it is an agricultural niche :)

Btw: your links were gone while writing this post... site down or :?:
Hans

mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Growing days, and Growing Degree Days is something I can add to the todo list. As to when it would get implemented, I'm afraid I have no idea at the moment.
Pes

Re: Lämpösumma ja kasvukausi

Post by Pes »

HansR wrote: Tue 30 Mar 2021 6:56 am @Pes: I am not sure this would be something taken up in CMX, Mark would have to say something about it.
If not, then it would be interesting enough to take these up in CumulusUtils (I may do that anyway). But that would require you to use that tool (beside whatever you use or as main tool). Look at my site for what it is. I have a Background in agriculture/forestry, so I do understand the requirement. But it is an agricultural niche :)

The server has been down for 9 hours. Hope to open soon. The server is based in the UK and the service is provided by Hostinger. I use Google Translate as an interpreter. I check out CumulusUtils and thanks for the info everyone.
Pes

Post by Pes »

Pes wrote: Tue 30 Mar 2021 12:11 pm
HansR wrote: Tue 30 Mar 2021 6:56 am @Pes: I am not sure this would be something taken up in CMX, Mark would have to say something about it.

The server has been down for 9 hours. Hope to open soon. The server is based in the UK and the service is provided by Hostinger. I use Google Translate as an interpreter. I check out CumulusUtils and thanks for the info everyone.
Now the server is OK
HansR

Post by HansR »

Thanks. I don't understand the heat build up chart.
You say it is a count of all days with average temperature >5 degree So how does it get the curve. What is the function?
Hans

Pes

Post by Pes »

HansR wrote: Tue 30 Mar 2021 7:55 pm Thanks. I don't understand the heat build up chart.
You say it is a count of all days with average temperature >5 degree So how does it get the curve. What is the function?
Effective heat sum is a figure describing the heat accumulated during the growing season.
The effective heat sum is obtained by summing the part that exceeds the average temperature of all days + 5 ° C during the summer. - Degree days
Different plants require different amounts of effective heat to grow.
If the effective heat sum is more than 600 degrees (or degree days, ° Cvrk), trees will grow.
In the period 1980–2010, the effective heat sum in southern Finland has been on average about 1300–1400 degree days.

Effective heat sum mathematically.
The effective heat sum is calculated by subtracting five degrees from the average daily temperature of each
year and calculating the sum of the positive differences obtained.
for all days d for which Td >5 applies, where Td is the average daily temperature.
A link to the Wikipedia page there is a calculation formula. https://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tehoisa_l ... C3%B6summa

I manually calculate the daily heat sum and add it to the previously accumulated heat sum. From this data I make js. the file link is https://jussilanet.com/tehotemp.js

Heat accumulation graphics etc. the file is made by adding together the average temperatures
of the days with a link to that file https://jussilanet.com/sumheat.js.
If cmx ever computes these then you can probably create a graphic from a json file.
HansR

Post by HansR »

@Pes: OK, that makes things clearer.

From the graphs you gave in this answer I understood that both the Temperature Sum and the Heat Build up are shown for the whole year (1 jan to 31 dec) but your Highcharts javascript files show otherwise (March to September). I will make the charts at first instance like your examples and parametrize them because in NL we use other limits so my guess is it is different everywhere in the world.

I'll let you know (PM) when I have a working example.

It is still to be decided if Td is to be calculated from the station observations or whether it is a parameter to be used?
Hans

Pes

Post by Pes »

HansR wrote: Wed 31 Mar 2021 3:42 pm @Pes: OK, that makes things clearer.

From the graphs you gave in this answer I understood that both the Temperature Sum and the Heat Build up are shown for the whole year (1 jan to 31 dec) but your Highcharts javascript files show otherwise (March to September). I will make the charts at first instance like your examples and parametrize them because in NL we use other limits so my guess is it is different everywhere in the world.

I'll let you know (PM) when I have a working example.

It is still to be decided if Td is to be calculated from the station observations or whether it is a parameter to be used?
Thank you. We only accumulate an effective amount of heat during the summer, normally in April-September, because then the average temperature is over 5 C. It’s because the rest of the time is missing from the graphics. In other words, the graphics start when the first crossing of the year occurs and end with the last day that crossed 5 degrees. Calculation of the average temperature of the weather station.
beteljuice
Weather Station: None !
Operating System: W10 - Threadripper 16core, etc

Post by beteljuice »

Am I missing something ?

Is this not Growing Degree Day

Tbase would be user defined (according to plant / pest preference)

... but, the beteljuice has questions ?

This is a time sequence, so how do you know when a 'season' has truly begun ?
i.e. There is an early warm day, but the next 'countable' one is over 7 days later.

There is mention that most crops cease to grow or even suffer > 30 deg C, do you take that into account ?
......................Imagine, what you will KNOW tomorrow !
HansR

Post by HansR »

Indeed @beteljuice, well found, thanks for the reference (which does not really differ from the Finnish version).
Tbh I knew the Temperature Sum but the GGD/Heat Build Up was new to me. I think both Pes and Mark did mention that degree days unit.

I did implement a first version of these graphs (my site, Misc Graphs in the drop down) with a parametrised Tref.

Indeed it is a time sequence and you do not know where the season starts so I implemented simply the whole year. The farmer/forester has to decide on actions to be taken on the basis of Temp Sum and/or Heat Build Up which are observed.

The fact that you can get an early warm day then 7 cold days and then again warm days is exactly what the Temperature Sum shows: tulips start to flower early or late exactly because of that effect.

Crops suffering of heat above a certain temperature has nothing to do with temp sum or degree days but is simply a heatstress effect 12 days of 25 degree does not add up to 10 days of 30 degree if a plant can't live in temperatures of 25+.

And btw the estimator for the average has been discussed here before and has led to my graph 'clash of averages' also 'Misc Graphs' on my site) the difference between the integral average and the estimator can be quite large (up to two degrees) so if you can avoid it don't use it. Anyway: CMX average is determined with the integral method and is better the higher the interval frequency is used (1 minute the best).
Hans