Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Startup/Shutdown External Programs

Please DO NOT use this to publish your entire wish. This Forum is for specific suggestions to enhance the usability of Cumulus MX for all users, NOT your personal requirements. Please check this forum and the rejected forum to make sure you are NOT posting a DUPLICATE suggestion. It will be heavily monitored by Admin and Mark Crossley to determine the feasibility and the difficulty of the suggestion. Those Topics that are deemed inadmissible will moved to the rejected Forum. The remaining Topics will be the Accepted list of future developments, and when our voluntary development group adds it to a build, the build number will be added to the Topic title.
radilly
Weather Station: Ambient WS-2080
Operating System: Raspberry Pi 3, OS Buster Lite

Startup/Shutdown External Programs

Post by radilly »

I like the idea of the new "Program settings", and this might be thought of as a generalization of that. If available, I would take advantage of the ability to run some code when Cumulus starts, and when it shuts down.

I was reminded of this in writing out viewtopic.php?f=36&t=18885 (Option to *Append* to ServiceConsoleLog.txt). If available, at shutdown one could make a backup copy of ServiceConsoleLog.txt, or append it to file located elsewhere - an alternative approach to that proposal.

Such a feature could, potentially be used to implement an alternative to the "Host to PING on program start-up" option. I believe some caveats are:
  • To replicate that function, the external program would have to block, i.e. Cumulus would not continue until control returns,
  • It would be convenient to be able to communicate back to Cumulus the desire to halt, e.g. through a return code or the like.
On the shutdown side, the other referenced suggestion mentions the desire to retain MXdiags logging. Today I run a crontab (Linux) that runs an rsych to copy any changed MXdiags logging periodically to another directory. (When I'm experimenting, I'm often restarting CMX frequently, and anecdotally it appears the number of logfiles is fixed, but, therefore, the amount of history retained can vary widely.)

Thanks!
Cheers,
Bob
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: Startup/Shutdown External Programs

Post by mcrossley »

I have implemented startup and shutdown tasks in v3.22.4

I do have some improvements to make to them in future...