Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

High gust speed in monthly lofiles

Please DO NOT use this to publish your entire wish. This Forum is for specific suggestions to enhance the usability of Cumulus MX for all users, NOT your personal requirements. Please check this forum and the rejected forum to make sure you are NOT posting a DUPLICATE suggestion. It will be heavily monitored by Admin and Mark Crossley to determine the feasibility and the difficulty of the suggestion. Those Topics that are deemed inadmissible will moved to the rejected Forum. The remaining Topics will be the Accepted list of future developments, and when our voluntary development group adds it to a build, the build number will be added to the Topic title.
Atlas
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
Operating System: Win 10 Pro x64 4 GB RAM

High gust speed in monthly lofiles

Post by Atlas »

Hi

I'am working with monthly logfiles to draw different values with highcharts and in the wind chart I find two values for the wind gust.

I suppose Recent High windgust logfile value is the high wind gust in the 10 last minutes ... I suppose so because it is the value by default in Cumulus wind chart and the graph has "flat" top values (the same value) some minutes (I've 1-minute logging interval)

There is another wind gust value in logfiles called "Current gust" and doing some checking I've found it just records the current minute's last gust. So for example if it's the time of 12:34 and in that minute there is a high gust of 23 km/h it is not recorded in the logfile but the last gust of the minute.

The data in the graph is "strange" to one's eyes (top flats with one value and less wind gust with the other) when looking the graphs.

So my suggestion is if the "Current gust" value recorded could be the high gust in the recording log interval, so if we have 1 minute logging interval we have the high gust in that last minute and not the last gust of the minute.

Thanks
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus
https://www.meteoarchena.es
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: High gust speed in monthly lofiles

Post by mcrossley »

You could apply the same logic to most of the values in the monthly log files. The temperature logged is the last value in the interval. But it could the highest, or the lowest, or the average over the interval. The interval being anything up to 30 minutes.

Extending this, what you are asking for really is a whole set of new parameters - maximums, minimums, averages - for each sensor over the log interval.
Atlas

Post by Atlas »

That's the reason I have 1 minute logging interval, for not missing any relevant value.

For higher intervals it could be the high or low value reached in the interval time for the other values.WD records its logs that way.

Anyway the temperature, humidity or pressure values have not so many readings in a minute for a big difference but gusts in the case of Davis stations are 2,5 seconds interval reading, so there are 24 gust readings per minute and just one of them could be the highest gust so far in that minute.

There's no reason to have a set of high/lows new fields in the log.
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus
Atlas

Post by Atlas »

Here is my Cumulus MX graph in action:

http://www.meteoarchena.es/graficos.php

Note that wind (Viento) graph with that "flat peaks". The current gust field would create a less high gust.

I have only Cumulus monthly logfiles available from february 2018 (sadly I missed the previous ones since november 2011) and I've managed to get the missing data from WU in its api web.
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus