Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

[Request] Webtag to Provide Times in UTC

Please DO NOT use this to publish your entire wish. This Forum is for specific suggestions to enhance the usability of Cumulus MX for all users, NOT your personal requirements. Please check this forum and the rejected forum to make sure you are NOT posting a DUPLICATE suggestion. It will be heavily monitored by Admin and Mark Crossley to determine the feasibility and the difficulty of the suggestion. Those Topics that are deemed inadmissible will moved to the rejected Forum. The remaining Topics will be the Accepted list of future developments, and when our voluntary development group adds it to a build, the build number will be added to the Topic title.
buffaloseven
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro
Operating System: macOS 11.1

[Request] Webtag to Provide Times in UTC

Post by buffaloseven »

Hi,

Just wondering now that development is moving along at a good clip, if it would be possible to give a web tag that would give timestamps in UTC format. Something like

Code: Select all

<#RecentTSUTC>
would be great. The removal of the local time zone setting of the station would make it much easier to provide station data at a uniform time, particularly as Javascript doesn't really support time zones that well, but can work well enough if the source time is in UTC.

Other than that, super happy to see all the development that's been going on! CumulusMX is a fantastic piece of logging software. :-)
sfws
Weather Station: Chas O, Maplin N96FY, N25FR
Operating System: rPi 3B+ with Buster (full)

Re: [Request] Webtag to Provide Times in UTC

Post by sfws »

buffaloseven wrote: Thu 09 Jul 2020 1:29 am a web tag that would give timestamps in UTC format
<#timeUTC> existed for Cumulus 1 (since version 1.9.2) and exists for Cumulus 3, also known as MX, in all its versions.

Well a capital "K" can replace other specifiers to make the time output specify time-zone, and adding a lower case "zzz" after other specifiers will give hours and minutes offset from UTC, but I suspect (as I have not experimented) these only apply to current date/time.

Cumulus 2 worked entirely in UTC which Steve Loft expected to simplify everything.
However, the complications that invoked in practice are probably part of the reason why Cumulus 2 was abandoned.

But I wonder whether you actually asked the question you meant to ask.
Perhaps you meant to ask can every time-stamp be formatted to output in UTC?

As far as I know there is not a output format specifier to output times in web tags (not representing current time) always in UTC, maybe someone else will correct me if I am wrong.
Last edited by sfws on Sat 11 Jul 2020 11:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

There is also <#timeJavaScript> which provides the last update time as a JavaScript timestamp - which is always in UTC.
sfws
Weather Station: Chas O, Maplin N96FY, N25FR
Operating System: rPi 3B+ with Buster (full)

Post by sfws »

mcrossley wrote: Thu 09 Jul 2020 7:48 am There is also <#timeJavaScript> which provides the last update time as a JavaScript timestamp - which is always in UTC.
Thank you, Mark, I forgot you had added that from version 3.5.2!
Oh dear, yet another web tag added by MX that nobody added to the Wiki list of web tags. Now I have added <#timeJavaScript> and <#RecentFeelsLike>.

That web tag is a much more appropriate answer given original question
buffaloseven wrote: Thu 09 Jul 2020 1:29 am particularly as Javascript doesn't really support time zones that well,
buffaloseven

Post by buffaloseven »

Well, I'll be. I had no idea these two web tags existed and somehow never came across them in the Wiki. They're perfect! Thanks for pointing them out! And you're right, #timeJavaScript will be perfect for my needs. Thanks so much!
buffaloseven

Post by buffaloseven »

Alright! I had some time to play with it tonight and realized two things:

1. I should have been more specific and left out an important point and should have been more clear: I would like to see time output (not format) in UTC in a webtag that functions like the <#RecentTS> tag. The <#timeUTC> and <#timeJavaScript> only output the current time, assuming I'm reading right and experimenting correctly.
2. I had forgotten about the 'zzz' specifier for use with formatting the time output (I have no idea how I missed that one). It has certainly helped. That said, it would still be nice to output the time in UTC rather than the local time zone when using a webtag that functions like <#RecentTS>.

Hopefully that clarifies things a bit! Sorry for my original ambiguity.