Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Initial Location Entry

Please DO NOT use this to publish your entire wish. This Forum is for specific suggestions to enhance the usability of Cumulus MX for all users, NOT your personal requirements. Please check this forum and the rejected forum to make sure you are NOT posting a DUPLICATE suggestion. It will be heavily monitored by Admin and Mark Crossley to determine the feasibility and the difficulty of the suggestion. Those Topics that are deemed inadmissible will moved to the rejected Forum. The remaining Topics will be the Accepted list of future developments, and when our voluntary development group adds it to a build, the build number will be added to the Topic title.
stevendt
Weather Station: Davis Vatnage Pro2 Plus
Operating System: Windows 7/10

Initial Location Entry

Post by stevendt »

Apologies if I have missed being able to do this, but . . . .

Initial station setup requires Lat & Long in DMS. The default setup for Vantage Stations is decimal degrees. It would be helpful if the location could be entered in decimal as an option

regards
Dave
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Re: Initial Location Entry

Post by PaulMy »

The Cumulus.ini files have both ways but not sure how each is used.

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm
ExperiMentor
Weather Station: Fine Offset & Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 10; Raspbian Buster

Post by ExperiMentor »

If you can’t convert it yourself, there are plenty websites such as https://www.fcc.gov/media/radio/dms-decimal
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

PaulMy wrote: Sat 23 May 2020 9:57 pm The Cumulus.ini files have both ways but not sure how each is use
The entries Latitude/Longitude are the decimal values of position. These are used by Cumulus for its calculations.

The entries LatTxt/LonTxt are text representations of the position, they are derived from the values above when they are entered from the config screen. They are only used for web page display.
stevendt

Post by stevendt »

"If you can’t convert it yourself, there are plenty websites . . . "

I could, and did, convert the coordinates myself.

It was a suggestion for Development as I think it reasonable that Cumulus accepts Lat & Long in the same format as the user enters at the Weatherstation

regards
Dave
sfws
Weather Station: Chas O, Maplin N96FY, N25FR
Operating System: rPi 3B+ with Buster (full)

Post by sfws »

More than two months on, reading this topic, it does seem strange to me that if you know your lat and long in decimal terms you have to convert it to degrees, minutes and seconds, just for Cumulus to convert it back to decimals internally. I suspect everyone setting up Cumulus (or if they have a weather station of a type that asks for it, setting up their station) has to look up their location anyway, so can look it up in any format required.

As for displaying it in degrees, minutes and seconds, well that could still be achieved if it was entered in decimals.

I think this is one example of MX copying the way Cumulus 1 did things without thinking whether that is still easiest way to input.

If someone has nothing better to do, they could count the number of posts in this forum related to someone struggling to enter their lat and long correctly. Next, count the sub-set of those that struggle because it is DMS format....

That leaves me with one question.
stevendt wrote: Sat 23 May 2020 5:50 pm It would be helpful if the location could be entered in decimal as an option
Does it have to be an option? That sounds more complicated to code.
Or should the only way in future to enter lat and long be as decimals?
Or should we leave it unchanged?

I am not voting for any particular solution, nor indeed trying to influence any timescale for acceptance/rejection, I am just reigniting this topic to see if others have views, now I have expanded on the topic.
stevendt

Post by stevendt »

sfws wrote: Mon 03 Aug 2020 3:53 pm Does it have to be an option? That sounds more complicated to code.
Or should the only way in future to enter lat and long be as decimals?
Or should we leave it unchanged?
Well, in my view, it should be changed, but if making it an option is overly complex, then changing to make it consistent with the weather station entry is logical

regards
Dave
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

The problem entering it as a decimal is you may need to enter a lot of decimal places to get it accurate to one arc second - 17 decimal places are required to represent some values accurately!