Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Data Log editors - Resolved

A Forum to archive Cumulus MX development suggestions that have been rejected or solved by other means.
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Data Log editors - Resolved

Post by water01 »

I don't know if it is just me but I think the two boxes at the of the screen of the Data Log editors when you edit a line are a bit confusing. They currently say "Close" and "Edit" and I just assumed that "Close" meant save and "Edit" meant you wanted to reload the data.

Not so "Close" means "Cancel" and "Edit" means "Save", so wouldn't it be better to say "Cancel" and "Save"?

Just me being picky!!
David
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: Data Log editors

Post by mcrossley »

Those are the default values provided, I just checked and it is possible to override them, so Cancel and Save for the next release :)
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

Wow thanks Mark.
David
sfws
Weather Station: Chas O, Maplin N96FY, N25FR
Operating System: rPi 3B+ with Buster (full)

Post by sfws »

Maybe I am just being pedantic, but I'm not convinced changing "Close" to "Cancel" between 3.6.0 and 3.6.1 was right. I understand why David misunderstood it in the context of the original naming of the two buttons prior to the change, but if the buttons were changed in future to be "Close" and "Save" I think everyone would understand them.

There is a "x" at top right to close the pop up dialog, but the colour scheme means you need to have much better eyesight than me to see that "x" is there (I know it is part of the functionality, so I find it). Obviously MX admin interface does not meet even basic accessibility standards, all of it has been written in a hurry, based on the basic bootstrap styling.
EDIT (2 goes to get colouring correct): Further investigation shows that the "x" is an image \CumulusMX\interface\img\sep-half.png, that the contrast can be improved by adding the following class style to
\CumulusMX\interface\css\cumulus.css

Code: Select all

.modal-header {
    background-image:url('../img/sep-half.png');
    background-color: #4fc4cf; */
    color:#fff;
}
I have implemented this in my new version of the standard data log editor where my edited HTML, new JavaScript, and edited CSS, can be provided as a zip package that will seamlessly slot into current admin interface, and be beneficial to all.

After making an edit, you click the button that from version 3.6.1 onwards is called "Save", the js sends the edited row back to MX via another api.

Next on the pop up dialog you get the helpful message "Success" (although in theory you could get the message "Error"), but after that the dialog does not close. This is possibly because you need time to see "Success"/"Error", and in latter case it is useful to leave the dialog open to check your edit, check MX Diags if necessary, and try again.

The non-closure of the modal (dialog to you and me) is a listed item in the AltEditor author's github to do list https://github.com/KasperOlesen/DataTab ... aster/TODO.
Last edited by sfws on Fri 05 Jun 2020 9:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Agreed, changing that button back to "close" would be better for both instances. Ideally it would be Cancel on the first and change to Close and the second case - but I have more pressing calls on my time than seeing if that is possible at the moment.