Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Loggin and password for acces

Please DO NOT use this to publish your entire wish. This Forum is for specific suggestions to enhance the usability of Cumulus MX for all users, NOT your personal requirements. Please check this forum and the rejected forum to make sure you are NOT posting a DUPLICATE suggestion. It will be heavily monitored by Admin and Mark Crossley to determine the feasibility and the difficulty of the suggestion. Those Topics that are deemed inadmissible will moved to the rejected Forum. The remaining Topics will be the Accepted list of future developments, and when our voluntary development group adds it to a build, the build number will be added to the Topic title.
Meteo07
Weather Station: wmr200
Operating System: win7 x86

Loggin and password for acces

Post by Meteo07 »

Hi, sorry for my english, i'm french, so, is it possible to have a option for use login and password to acces cumulusmx web ? i acces it out of my home and it's not really secure because the port should be open and anyone can modify my settings....
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: Loggin and password for acces

Post by mcrossley »

This has come up many times.

To enable password access to the settings pages really requires HTTPS to be implemented, that will not happen any time soon. Password access using HTTP is possible, but of course the data can be sniffed on the network as it is passed in clear text.

Rather than exposing the Cumulus interface to the internet**, it is better to setup something like a VPN or use one of the remote access programs.

If must do this then at least restrict access to specific IP addresses either in your router our firewall or both.
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Post by freddie »

You could proxy access through a web server on an external host. Or you could use a VPN. Or you could use rules in your router firewall to restrict access.

Note that none of the above solutions is 100% secure. For that reason I would advise against allowing remote access to your MX interface. If you want to see your weather data when away from home then deploy the default website to an external web server and access the data through that
Freddie
Meteo07
Weather Station: wmr200
Operating System: win7 x86

Post by Meteo07 »

ok, i'll see about a solution thanks
BigOkie
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus
Operating System: Raspian Buster (RPi 3b)

Post by BigOkie »

Meteo07 wrote: Sun 03 Oct 2021 6:42 pm ok, i'll see about a solution thanks
Alot of routers have built in VPN servers now. I have an Asus router which has two options; OpenVPN (most secure) and PPTP (not really secure). Both have their advantages. PPTP, while insecure, offers Windows machines native access without having to install client software. OpenVPN however uses certificates and their cypher is much stronger (PPTP uses 128 bit which is easy to crack, OpenVPN does 160bit and 256bit -- not as easy to crack). I use both because I have a need for both with my work laptop being pretty restrictive on the programs I use. I also use firewalls to limit the IPs I allow access to my network. I have to use the router anyway because my ISP won't allow inbound traffic on my network to the standard HTTP port of 80. Not sure about the HTTPS port (443) haven't tried it.
Phil23
Weather Station: Davis VP2+ & GW1000 (Standalone)
Operating System: Win10 Pro / rPi Buster

Post by Phil23 »

BigOkie wrote: Thu 14 Oct 2021 7:01 pm Alot of routers have built in VPN servers now....
Another Vote for VPN.
Routers have come a long way in terms of the ease of use for their VPNs.

I run L2TP/IPSec here & it works a dream on all my android devices & it's just a 30 second setup on any client PC.

With dozens of devices here on my local Subnet with Web interfaces it's a breeze to control them remotely despite many of them having no remote security.
:Now: :Today/Yesterday:

Main Station Davis VP2+ Running Via Win10 Pro.
Secondary Stations, Ecowitt HP2551/GW1000 Via rPi 3 & 4 Running Buster GUI.
:Local Inverell Ecowitt Station: :Remote Ashford Ecowitt Station: