Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.5 (build 3282) - 23 February 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Temperature 'Feels' variance

Discussion of the Weather34 web site template

Moderators: saratogaWX, weatherist34

Chapel
Weather Station: Instromet
Operating System: Raspbian

Temperature 'Feels' variance

Post by Chapel »

I am currently running the 2018 version of Weather34 alongside the latest build and noticed a variance in the temperature 'Feels' field. Now I have to say this particular measurement is not important to me, in fact I am more concerned that my humidity sits at 100% a lot of the time and I will take a closer look at the sensor this coming weekend.

Given that the source data for both screens is the same, can anyone tell me how this temperature is calculated and why the difference between versions?
RF2.PNG
RF1.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Re: Temperature 'Feels' variance

Post by PaulMy »

I am not a coder but decided to have a look and found a livedata.php script in the template set. In this script it has temp_feel variable which I presume is the 'feels like'. Comparing most recent vs older versions it looks like the calculation has changed between these versions.

The most recent version by SaratogaWX in livedata.php has: $weather["temp_feel"] = apparent_temperature($weather['temp'],$weather['humidity'],$weather['wind_speed']);
The first version posted by SaratogaWX dated January 4, 2019 has: $weather["temp_feel"] = heatIndex($cumulus[2], $cumulus[3]); // must set temp_units first
An August 2018 version from Brian the livedata.php has: $weather["temp_feel"] = heatIndex($cumulus[2], $cumulus[3]); // must set temp_units first

So it appears that in the most recent version Ken has modified Brian's calculation and that gives a slightly different result.

Enjoy,
Paul

EDIT:
I am also testing Wim's (Leuven Template author) Weather Underground version that uses the WU API and that shows a different result as well. The FeelsIike variable in the temperature_block is much different. Therefore, as the script authors have said, it is important to not mix between the versions.
http://www.komokaweather.com/pws-wu/index.php Wim's version for WU API
http://www.komokaweather.com/pws/index.php Ken's version for Cumulus 1 and MX
http://www.komokaweather.com/pws-wfl/in ... theme=dark Ken's version for Cumulus but using the WiFiLogger realtime.txt file (which is the same format as the Cumulus reasltime.txt file but does not have all of the data that is calculated by Cumulus).
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm

Chapel
Weather Station: Instromet
Operating System: Raspbian

Re: Temperature 'Feels' variance

Post by Chapel »

Thank you for that, it actually felt quite warm out with the dogs this afternoon, so I am inclined to agree with the latest version despite my view being quite subjective :)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...