Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Wind Graph configuration

Share your Cumulus MX user interface here

Moderator: mcrossley

Phil23
Weather Station: Davis VP2+ & GW1000 (Standalone)
Operating System: Win10 Pro / rPi Buster

Wind Graph configuration

Post by Phil23 »

Just wondering about the wind graph & possibly others.

Is it possible to change some configuration setting to make it a "line of best fit", as in more curvy, if that's the correct term.

I know a "Trend Line" would be the option to choose in Excel to get the desired result, but is there a similar option available in CumulusMX, for either the interface or website, or both?

Thanks

Phil
Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:Now: :Today/Yesterday:

Main Station Davis VP2+ Running Via Win10 Pro.
Secondary Stations, Ecowitt HP2551/GW1000 Via rPi 3 & 4 Running Buster GUI.
:Local Inverell Ecowitt Station: :Remote Ashford Ecowitt Station:
scanman
Weather Station: Davis VP2

Re: Wind Graph configuration

Post by scanman »

In the CMX "settings, options", you could select the option to let Cumulus calculate the average wind speed, which results in a smoother, less blocky chart. Not sure about the peak gust, though, as that is calculated over a 10min period. Another thing you could try is changing the graph display to show a greater period of time (eg 72hours). this giving a greater data range (usually) to smooth out some of the steps. The only downside to this is that the blocky appearance is still there on zooming to a smaller time frame of, say, 12hours. Dunno whether that helps at all?

See http://www.new.avochweather.info/trends.htm
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

The graphs aren't really part of Cumulus, it just provides the data for them, so there aren't any options in Cumulus to change the style.

To modify the charts, you'll need to edit the javascript (cumuluscharts.js or charts.js, depending on whether you're doing the web site or the local interface). The documentation is here - http://api.highcharts.com/highstock - and demos are here - http://www.highcharts.com/demo

You might want to try experimenting with spline charts, but I don't know how well that will work with wind data.
Steve
Phil23

Post by Phil23 »

scanman wrote:Another thing you could try is changing the graph display to show a greater period of time (eg 72hours). this giving a greater data range (usually) to smooth out some of the steps.
Expand the graphs to greater that 24 hours is certainly something I'd like anyway.

Any hints on where that's configured in the scripts?
Website coding is not one of my familiar areas.

Phil.

steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

Changing the period displayed by the graphs is a change to the data supplied to the graphs, so that's one thing that is configured from MX - on the Graphs section of the station settings screen. Note that if you increase the period, the graph will gradually grow to the selected period, unless you restart Cumulus, when it will redraw the graph to the full new period from the data in the data logs.
Steve
Phil23

Post by Phil23 »

steve wrote:The graphs aren't really part of Cumulus, it just provides the data for them, so there aren't any options in Cumulus to change the style.
Thanks Steve,

Yes I understand all that & the similar situation with the gauges.

Probably what I find the single most frustrating thing in MX.

While it's way superior to version 1 straight out of the box, better interface; viewable on all local devices & so on.
It's the scope for customisation that's addictive, seeing examples you want on other peoples sites & wanting the same.

I know these are in no way related to MX & it's designed to be so, which is a great thing.

Cumulus 1 was largely you get what you get, while with MX you know there's other options you could have, but they are slightly out of reach.

30 years in IT, but Java & PHP, even HTML are not areas I'm involved in, & have only basic coding knowledge, that's where the frustration begins.

In no way am I criticising the program, it's superb & love how it opens up these greater amount of options.
Just wish I was more knowledgeable in the areas of website coding.

Cheers.