Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX release v3.4.0 (build 3064) - 19 February 2020.
    Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014

See the Wiki for downloading either version.

Ecowitt Stations

Discussion of version 3 of Cumulus, which runs on Windows, Linux, and OS X. All Cumulus MX queries in here, please.

Moderator: mcrossley

Big Daddy
    Weather Station: Maplin N96FY
    Operating System: Windows 8

Ecowitt Stations

Post by Big Daddy » Thu 13 Feb 2020 6:10 pm

Hi all,
    So after 7 years my Maplin / FineOffset weather station has finally given up the ghost and of course there are no spares to be had easily so I have been looking for a reasonably cheap alternative and came across Ecowitt, which I believe is now supported in Cumulus MX.

There seems to be a GW1002 weather station which has all the bits I think I need, including the GW1000 gateway and I also think I can buy other individual sensors and can conect these through the GW1000. Is that correct?

My question is how does it connect with CumulusMX. I am currently running MX on a Pi but I am struggling to find information on how it all fits together. I see the GW1000 has a USB port but is that just for power and does Cumulus read the data via IP / wireless.

Any comments or thoughts would be warmly welcome.

Andy

PaulMy
    Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2+ w/Envoy USB
    Operating System: Windows-8

Re: Ecowitt Stations

Post by PaulMy » Thu 13 Feb 2020 10:19 pm

The GW1000 is a WiFi device and CumulusMX reads the data from the GW1000 IP address. The USB is only for powering the GW1000.
    In Settings, Station settings, Station type select Ecowitt GW1000 and for Ecowitt GW1000 settings enter the IP address and the interval.
    That should be all there is to it.
    Yes, GW1000 picks up the various Ecowitt sensors, the extra sensors and data logs are viewable from the dashboard menu.

Also need to mention that the GW1000 is not a data logger so if there is a Cumulus shut down or lost connection the data is not available. The GW1000 will also send the data to www.ecowitt.net

Enjoy,
    Paul

Big Daddy
    Weather Station: Maplin N96FY
    Operating System: Windows 8

Re: Ecowitt Stations

Post by Big Daddy » Fri 14 Feb 2020 10:06 am

Hi Paul,
    Thanks for the quick reply. Seems like this is a good option, I just wasnt sure how MX communicated with the GW1000 and didnt want to upset my current install by switching station types to find out as I am still getting some info from my Maplin station, albeit that the station display is blank and the wind direction and speed is very intermittent.

Just one additional quetion. I am right in assuming that I could buy an Ecowitt station with display and add a GW1000 to get the data in to Cumulus. I do like my internal display rather than having to refer to my website all the time.

I understood the piece about data-logging from what I had read but as I currently use a PI which is powered on 24x7 and costs peanuts to run then unless there is a power failure it should be ok. Will have to take that chance.

Many Thanks
    Andy