Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Data storage advice

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

scholefn
Weather Station: Fine Offset (via Meteobridge)
Operating System: Mac

Data storage advice

Post by scholefn »

Hi

I'm after some advice on how best to keep a data store for my weather data. I have 2 requirements I'm trying to fulfil, 1 - keep a local copy and 2 - ability to edit rain data and republish to Weather Underground.

My current setup is a Fine Offset station connected to a Meteobridge system that creates a network addressable version. This works fine and automatically publishes to Weather Underground.

I'm wondering whether CumulusMX can help here. I'm thinking the following;
1. Publish via MySQL insert from my Meteobridge to the CUmulusMX database
2. The MySQL database then becomes my local store and I can use CumulusMX software to browse the data
3. Edit the data when needed through CumulusMX
4. Republish to Weather Underground (I think WeeWX has this function?)

Can I please have some advice on whether this is possible?

Thanks

Nick
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: Data storage advice

Post by mcrossley »

Hi Nick,

Let's address those one by one...

1. Cumulus MX does not have a MySQL DB per se, It can publish data to MySQL (and there is an informal standard DB structure it uses by default), but it never reads back from MySQL.
This may well change in the future, but for now MySQL is a one way street.

2. See above. :(

3. Currently the data editing features in CMX are limited, it does not yet have all the features of Cumulus 1, they are being worked on however.

4. CMX can publish to WU on the live data as it comes in, or on "catch-up" when reading missed data from a station logger for instance. I'm not sure if that is what you mean?
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bullseye

Post by HansR »

@scholefn: do I understand well, that you want to use CumulusMX as a kind of backup storage of your weather data and not as the data acquisition system because that place is already taken by MeteoBridge? If you want a local copy, wouldn't that be a reason to discard the MeteoBridge and simply use Cumulus and from there serve to WU and others? Seems to me you are creating a complex world just for your local copy. Or do I miss something? And why SQL?
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
scholefn
Weather Station: Fine Offset (via Meteobridge)
Operating System: Mac

Post by scholefn »

Thanks for the reponses. I need to keep Meteobridge becuase it runs on a small router (TPLink MR3020) and I don't have a PC where the station is. I am mainly trying to get a backup of the data, yes and also a way to edit gaps and republish to WU.

I can set up a stand alone MySQL database to keep a copy of the data. I might just start with that.