Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

"data stopped" rollover problem

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

"data stopped" rollover problem

Post by freddie »

Running MX build 3052 on GNU/Linux, attaching to a Davis Vantage Pro2.

Connection to the VP dropped this morning at 08:32 UTC. I didn't notice until 09:30 UTC. On noticing the problem I made sure that the device was present (ls -l /dev/ttyU*) and restarted MX. On checking in the interface it appeared that all was well when looking at the 3-day graphs (temperature, humidity, wind, etc.). However when I looked at the daily temperature and rainfall graphs I noticed that there were two entries for 9th October 2019.

As my rollover is at 09:00 UTC I suspected a problem in dayfile.txt, and sure enough there were two entries for the 9th. The first entry contained data for 09:00 on the 9th until 08:31 on the 10th. The second entry contained data from 08:32 on the 10th until 09:00 on the 10th. I inferred this from the max/min values of temperature and pressure.

Looking in MXDiags files for before the restart I could see that, despite the lack of data coming in, the end-of-day rollover still occurred at 09:00 UTC. Looking in MXDiags files for after the restart there was another end-of-day rollover when the missing data from 08:32 to 09:00 was extracted from the logger and processed. It looks as if this is the reason for the two entries for the 9th in dayfile.txt.

I remedied the situation by stopping MX, copying the backup data files from the daily backup made at 09:00 on the 9th to the data folder, and restarting MX. This gave a very good test of the changes made recently to the serial protocol code, as 25 hours of 1-minute logger data were extracted and processed very quickly and flawlessly. Thanks @mcrossley for these recent changes, as I would've probably lost a day of data from my records otherwise.
Freddie
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: "data stopped" rollover problem

Post by mcrossley »

Go to know the the recovery worked.

The restart on data stopped option is still on Steve's "missing list" I reviewed the other day. This option would probably have avoided the false rollover.

I intend to try and implement some of the features from Cumulus 1 that have never been implemented in CMX, the next release will cross one of them off!